Depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with depression for over 10 year's but recently been getting worse , with thoughts of suicide, been referred to see a phycatrist and still waiting, the odd feeling is I'm happy at times and show no effects of feeling really low but then get the feeling of worthlessness and don't want to carry on anymore, like I'm only here for my 2 children who live with me full time and wouldn't want to leave on their own .

I know it's selfish and wouldn't do anything for that reason but if I didn't have any children I feel at times there would be nothing to live for , people don't understand how living with depression is very hard and get to old to ' get on with life ' which in their minds is ok but wish they could have a mind of a person suffering with this horrible illness , I'm not sure if I have clinical depression? Is there any difference between this and just normal depression.? I feel good one day then the next feel like ending it !!

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi David, are you taking any medication? Has something triggered these feelings to make things worst? I would advice going to your Doctor and letting him know what you're feeling. It's very yes when you feel like that and not know why. I've been taking Fluoxetine for 8 weeks now. Started 40mg 7 days ago. I have suffered with depression on and off for about 14 years but each time I started the meds after 3 months I felt better. Would stay on meds a few years then come off them. When times got really tough is when my anxiety and depression would come back. Try and go for walks when you feel low also take vitamins. That may help. Keep your head up. Things will get better.

• Posted

Hey David,

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a rough patch right now. Depression is a hard road, but thankfully you have your children to focus on, and stay around for.

Whether you have clinical depression or any other sort is only something a doctor can determine. Right now there's no need for a label, but there's a need for an appointment with a psychiatrist to start you on your way to feeling better.

Depression is a tricky beast. Some days, weeks, even months can be absolutely great, while others take you to the lowest of lows. The trick is to somehow find balance in this chaotic mess, but that takes work. People benefit from meds, therapy or both, but you have to take the first step and go see a doctor.

In my opinion, there's situational depression in response to life struggles and tragedies, and there's depression from a chemical imbalance in the brain, along with different sorts of misfiring going on, and that's usually something someone is born with. Depression can most certainly be a disease just as much as diabetes or anything else can. As an example, a diabetic may have days where their sugar levels are just fine, but then have bad days in which they just can't get their levels to stay within normal range. Of course there's medication to assist them their levels, just like there's medication to assist people during bouts of depression. That's why it's vital to get an assessment from a doctor, and a plan for treatment started. Not only do your children deserve to have you at your best, you also deserve to have a great and fulfilling life.

• Posted

when were depressed we forget the normal funtionality of the human body,every1 has good days and bad days its just the bad days seem sooooooooo bad for us that the good days seem so far between,ive lernt over time that the bad days are just that,we have never died from a bad day (which i used to think i was)so i just go through the motion of that day,and the next day will be better or if not that day then the next,its about taking our body back instead of our body taking control of us. BE STRONG AND KEEP FIGHTING THE FIGHT
  • Posted

Hi David,

I'm not a doctor and so can't suggest you any medicines. But let me tell you what helped me and may be that can help you as well.

Eat well, stay sober and get a good night's sleep.

Go out for walks, meet new people, talk to random strangers and help them. Surround yourself with good people. If possible go to another place city/country. This does wonders! believe me. try to get into a hobby and this not so good feeling will go away for good! You will be positive and happy for sure !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.