depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

how do you learn or fight depression,the thoughts of death ,the feeling funny,things not looking right(havent had that for a while) how does every1 learn to cope?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

gary

You learn hopefully many of us see a CPN and that can be a positive experience

Generally some patients with Depression will get better given time, while others will suffer relapses over their lifetime, The final group of people will suffer for the rest of their lives. Sad to say I belong to the last smaller group and will need to use their coping skills learned over the years from Mental Health Professionals.

I use Relaxation Techniques The Maxwell Technique with some parts of The Alexander Technique. The Maxwell Technique was originally used in Mental Health Hospitals.

They seem now to use the Mindfullness Technique a Relaxation Technique that actually gives support to various parts of your life.

Also I try and use deversion Techniques that helps you take your mind of the problems you have. Breathing Techniques can also help.

If you have not discussed any of this talk to your GP or CPN etc, your GP may have tapes to help you control those negative feelings.

Other ways of controlling or recovering from Depression is to take each seperate problem and isolate each into thier own group.

Approach each group as an individual concern and cut each of these concerns into small bites. Sort out each bit or bit problem then try and sort out that little bit of worry until you get stuck then look at one of the other problems small bits and sort that out, do that for each problem you have until the problems little  bites have sorted that problem out completly. Do this with every problem that has caused your depression. Little bites are easier to to sort out then one big bite, the problems that have caused the Depression become more controllable.

BOB

• Posted

ive had cbt and they said ive been depressed all this time (years) because of my dog that died a few months ago,im on citrapram 40 and proponol 10mg,im noware as bad as i was but just get theese thoughts a few times a day were i feel that somthings just right with me,im back at work again even tho somtimes my heads not in it but hey ho cant afford not to,i work out,have 2 dogs so i get exersise,have a good family network not that i talk about being depressed much as you dont understand what you dont know,thanks 4 your reply tho most appreciated
    • Posted

Gary

Try and work out the reasons for your concerns, to know these reasons will help you control your low mood.

Loosing a dog is like loosing a family member who is always there for you. We lost our old dog to Cancer and we got another on a Collie X

Five years ago, He is one bright fella. You have two dogs ?. I hoep they give as much pleasure as does our Pax

Keep a hold, you know where we are if needed

BOB

• Posted

cheers m8,i did get another do,wat i mebt to mean was ive been depressed fot years on and off and the cbt said its because of the dog thats only just died so why have i been depressed all these years,so i stopped seeing her,i am getting better over time just some days are killers and so are not so bad
    • Posted

gary

Depression covers a multiple reasons, through problems in your life.

Some problems are caused by a chemical inbalance in the brain or they can also be caused by a chronic disability or condition.

To know the problems will help you to understand what your concerns are.

When we loose someone we loose or if someone was unkind to ou when young that can disrupt your life

We are here for you

BOB

• Posted

Hi Gary, sorry you're feeling like this babe, it's really not easy. 

Everything Bob has said is spot on - does your doctor know how you are?

I've had depression for over 20 years, and it was only a combination of the right medication and cognitive behaviour therapy that finally lifted me out of it 8 years ago.

All the best hunnibun, you need to find a solution to one thing at a time. Start with your doc, if you haven't already xx

• Posted

ive had cbt and they said ive been depressed all this time (years) because of my dog that died a few months ago,im on citrapram 40 and proponol 10mg,im noware as bad as i was but just get theese thoughts a few times a day were i feel that somthings just right with me,im back at work again even tho somtimes my heads not in it but hey ho cant afford not to,i work out,have 2 dogs so i get exersise,have a good family network not that i talk about being depressed much as you dont understand what you dont know,thanks 4 your reply tho most appreciated
    • Posted

Sorry cbt didn't happen for you, it's a bit hit and miss, i guess. 

You were probably trying to tell them something important and they just latched onto your reaction at the wrong point.

I reckon if you get depression you get v good at acting too. No-one wants to hear your stresses, and that's how you got back to work, got misunderstood at cbt, and have carried on regardless.

The more i blag being OK tho, the more i am, so... wierdly it works.

I also have times when i just can't be arsed and just shut down for a while, don't even walk the dog or bother with anything, but i reckon that's allright and the weekend is mine. The family and my partner know i have sh*t days - used to be months - and deal with it.

Keep in touch G, don't let bad days last x

• Posted

i hear you sister smile im the same im all joking around alot to mask the feelings thats realy going on,but when i have a day were i just cant be assed people are wondering why im not joking and messing around,i guess this is somthing that i just have to manage and ride the great wave of like,STAY STRONG AND KEEP FIGHTING THE FIGHT

• Posted

You know it G! We're stronger than anyone will ever appreciate xx

PM me if you have a rubbish day tho, yes? It means the world to me that i can have a rant with peeps that understand on here xx

• Posted

will do kate,you seem pritty cool to me,a problem shared and that ,i think thats how it goes smile,speak soon,take care

• Posted

You take care too angel, and remember we got the Aceness :D x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.