Depression and Anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am 23 Years Old and i have suffered from depression and anxiety since i was 15 years old. Over the years i have been better and worse, at the moment i am inbetween but i have got better at lifting my mood by doing the things that i enjoy. You have to be true to yourself. Only you know the best course of action to take. Now i can recognise the signs that i am getting worse , and know that if need be i can go to the doctors and they will give me medication to make me feel better. Sometimes i wish i didn't have to and it doesn't help when some ignorant friends say that its all in your head and that you don't need tablets or medication to help. All i can say is that they can never have experienced the pain, anxiety and panic that a person can feel and never truely wanted their life to end. The thing i know i should do is go to the doctors and keep taking my tablets but i don't, i always stop when i feel better or adjust the dose if i feel worse. Heres a tip dont do it! Also i tend to drink alot at the weekends and this makes me feel ten times worse. So anyone out there who feels the same as me don't turn to alcohol as a release as the next day everything feels worse and hopeless.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. I am 30 and have been suffering on and off since I was about 22. I had a fantastic 2008/2009 and thought I had beaten it once and for good then I noticed symptoms again in May. I tried to work on it myself and got progressively worse to the point that I have had to take time of work ( repeat of what has happened in previous episodes). I am back on the medication and have the same ignorance from other people which upsets me and sets me back. I dont want to be on it but if it helps then ok. I have had so many different therapies and nothing helps, I never know how I get better other than accepting that this unfortunately happens to me. Luckily I dont turn to alcohol but I do feel sometimes I make it worse for myself. the anxiety is worse than the depression and hard one to shake but I have started again to have freedom from it and I feel so normal and myself when I dont have the anxiety. I am learning to watch what I think rather than react, to be present in the moment and to be aware of my inner body and practicing CBT. The trouble is there are so many techniques out there and advice from every tom, dick and harry that it gets pretty confusing but I trust that I will find something that works for me.

Good luck to all in recovery. I know I can be better and you should too!

• Posted

I have come to accept that I am a chronic mild depressive. I used to wish I could quietly die, but I am not suicidal. I am on citalopram. A book which I have found helpful is Depression for Dummies. It seems to have more insight than other books I have dipped into. sad
  • Posted

Hi, I am also a 30 year old female. I have only been suffering from anxiety since May this year. I also got to the point where I needed medication. I am on Sertraline. Yesterday I asked for my dose to be increased.

I also can't figure out where this came from and how to stop it. I worry I will have this for the rest of my life, I dont want it. I am desperate to find a cure, I am not depressed I love my life and my family and I have never been happier.

I have started CBT last week, one thing I figured out in the session was 'I have lost trust with my own mind' I said it to my therapist and he said it was a good term, and since then it made sense. I am constantly mistrusting my own judgement and my own self. I think its what OCD suffers feel too (I have a bit of that). So when I feel a little anxious I tell myself its only me not trusting myself, and we can trust ourselves as its only anxiety, I think it would be a different story if we had Bi-Polar or Schizoprenia.

I think there needs to be more help out there for anxiety sufferers, I have noticed that we are all out here trying to figure this out for ourselves, when its at time when we feel our lowest and needed help we have no one else to turn to, as its usually in the evenings we feel worse. WHEN I recover from this, I want to help people who have felt like we do.

I wish you lots of luck, and we're here to make you feel less alone.

• Posted

ive sufferd with anxiety and depression for about 10 years and i used to try and carry on drinking with friends at weekends, but you are right. drinking on top of meds will only make what you are going through much worse. i was put on sertraline and orlanzipine 6 weeks ago and cut out drink. i am just starting to feel better, but this is a long road and i have to realise i am unwell and cant , at the moment go out getting plasterd

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.