Depression and anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had anxiety symptoms for four years dealing with that has been easy compared to the the depression it has morphed into. It comes in waves and can be quite unrelenting. It is by far the worst feeling I have ever experienced. Has anyone else dealt with ths as a by product of anxiety? Meds don't work for me because of side effects. Any ideas as to how to combat this?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It took five tries to get the right blood pressure meds. It was first try on anti anxiety med. Everyone's physiology is unique. What works for you may not for me. What gives me side effects may give you none. When you get on the right med, it makes all the difference in taking the sharp, terrible edge off anxiety so you can get calm enough, and think clearly enough, to learn the things you can do for yourelf to handle thiings.

To say to someone you should always take a drug, or to say you should never take a drug is a mistake. The majority of us here are not medical, but all of us have our own experience with anxiety and can share and suggest.

I do my best to closely read and do my best to judge where you are in the anxiety spectrum, the type pf person you seem to be, and from my own knowledge, and the experience and knowledge of all these wonderful people, offer my opinion accordingly.

Once in a while we will suggest strongly if we feel positive about what we are going to say. We can't and usually don't go past sharing our opinion.... to selling our idea as the only one.

As you read this and all the postings....think it through, what feels right for YOU, and contact your doctor if necessary. Some people are fearful of drugs and others are fearful of not taking some. This is a very personal decision, that only you,( and perhaps your doctor) should make.

The bottom line here, is that you find your way to feel better and begin to take your life back. This forun is not here to tell you what to do. It is here to offer you ideas, opinions, personal experiences, , etc. We all do our best not to push in the direction we think someone should go.....except when we truly feel that someone is about to make a dangerous personal decision....then you will hear many people yelling STOP,...and why.

Ultimately, we are your cheering team, your boosters, and offer the very best experience and factual knowledge we have. Then you get to do your part.....decide on a path that feels right FOR YOU.

My personal experience is the low level of depression and anxiety...didn't even see that until a tidal wave of anxiety hit like a tsunami. After about ten days of, as you say...by far the worst feeling I have ever had...on steroids. I got to urgent care  and was immediately prescribed an anti anxiety med. Knowing that I try to avoid meds, I was asked if I would take it. This was the first time I couldn't get to the pharmacy fast enough. The doctor was actually surprised enough to say, that he was glad I accepted it because for me in that state, my current condition would be tough to handle.  Well, I had had ten days of tough to handle....enough. Fortunately, that was the right med. We did have to up the dose twice to hit the "sweet spot"... but it worked wonderfully. With the help and encouragement of the people here i learned how to begin to take my life back.

So, my personal story involves a drug that allows me to have a life again, and there is improvement regularly.

I know I ran on, but after the years of living with what you lived with, what do YOU want to do now. What do YOU feel like might work for you. I lucked out off the bat, others go through trial and error. Choose for yourself (or with you doctor if you feel they understand and will help) what You want to do Read everything. Poder it all and choose. Whatever you choose to do, we are all here to assist and advise...not to make choices for you. That's kind of what a forum is. This a great one with caring people who understand where you are, and wish only the very best for you, Carol. A big hug to you, and remember, you are not alone.

• Posted

Well stated Cia I am under a psychiatrists care.I am certainly not anti drug I was like you at one time found one that was a life saver.Sadly now that gives me terrible side effects as do the others I have tried but I have not given up. The search is still on. I want to thank you for your kind reply for this is lonely journey to be sure,nice to know there are those selfless enough to offer kindness to others
    • Posted

Carol, you are most welcome...glad I could be of help.

Over the years of taking blood pressure meds, I started getting bad side effects from one of them. I did have a bit of a battle with my doc, but he finally conceded that it was possible to have reaction after years....so we changed, and changed until bingo.

My first professional job was as a Hair Dresser. I was good at it and people  would come from nearby state for their cuts. After four years or so, I became allergic to hair spray...so much for that...went on to the next thing.

Life seems to be about constant change and the ability to adapt to those changes, and move on down the road....until the next change.biggrin

Be well, trust yourself and your decisions and remember, no matter what we decide, we always have the right and the ability to simply...change our mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hugs, honey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.