Depression and anxiety

Posted , 8 users are following.

i need some experience from anyone who uses/used mirtazapine.

having been on it for a couple of years after many tries and fails on other anti deps, i could only use low dose which did help a little but dr said no thats too,low, come off . so i did and left me on diazepam, thats two years ago. . now i am tolerant to it at 8mg and the depression is worse and his only suggestion to me is start mirtazapine again but at 30mg. i could only tolerate 15mg before so you will understand my reticence but im not sleeping well, im very agitated, depressed and thinking why bother being here.

so, do i take the mirtazapine which didnt do a great deal for me and see if i can lift mood, or keep trying with diazepam which isnt keeping it at bay.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

HI Ive been in similar situation, find that diazepam works for anxiety but lowers mood. mirtazipine works for different things at different strengths, i ended up on mirtazipine 15MG as it helps sleep (ANY HIGHER DOSE DOESNT ) alongside propanalol for anxiety 10MG up to 4 TIMES A DAY. its difficult getting balance right and that was right at the end of my treatment for psychosis, was previously on quetiepine, mirtazipine, diazepam and zopliclone so coming off all that i found that the lower dose mirtazipine and propanalol worked. hope a bit of info helps and everyone is different but maybe suggest to gp/ MHT THAT COULD HIS BE WORTH A TRY.

ALL THE BEST

• Posted

thank you, very useful information, i will follow it up. good to hear from one who knows

• Posted

To me it sounds like the mirtazipine was helping, but the dose wasn’t high enough for the doctors liking.

So I would definitely try it again and stay with the lower dose. Even if it helps a little it’s better than having nothing that helps.

• Posted

good evening

i was given mirtazapine when i was diagnosed with PTSD to help me sleep as id stopped myself from sleeping due to nightmares.

the mitazapine helped me sleep but made me gain weight rather quickly.

in the end i tried several other ADs and the only one that worked for me was sertrline.

Hope you have a good christmas

• Posted

Snap! I found exactly the same. I take sertraline and the lowest dose of mirtazapine at night to help me sleep x

• Posted

Ann, I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles. I am a long term sufferer of GAD and see a psychiatrist for treatment. I really think what you're dealing with is tolerance and inter dose withdrawal from being on diazepam long term. In the support group for GAD I attend, I have met 2 people who are experiencing this. This needs a careful hand to help you - beyond a GP's scope. A psychiatrist would know how to help you with this, and your long term anxiety and depression. Please ask your GP for a referral, and if they won't help then find another GP who will. There are other treatments available for you that are beyond what a GP has to offer - therapy, other medications and a proper taper schedule to get you off Diazepam safely. Most importantly - please DO NOT try to stop the Diazepam by yourself.

• Posted

I currently take 30 mg of mirtazapine at bedtime and I believe it does help me sleep.

• Posted

HELLO

I take MIRTAZEPINE 15mg for sleep. i gained 8 pound in 7 weeks I don't want increase its dosage.

Psychiatrist told me 15mg is only for sleep, i 30mg is needed for depression. I've been on it for 7 weeks in addition to have FLUOXETINE 20-40-60-40mg currently for almost 7 weeks. i've never paid attention on MIRTAZEPINE

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.