Depression and anxiety, have been signed off from work and feel lost, don't know what to do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey, I've been depressed since I was really young, last couple of years I've had severe anxiety and panic attacks, due to some bad times that have happened in my life! Last year I was signed off from work for four months, I had some therapy to help and get me back on track. This year I've had all my symptoms come back, my GP signed me off and I've been on medication, I just don't feel anything is improving! I wake up with anxiety and this continues through the day, I feel down and it's not possible to do anything. I don't know what to do? The thought of going back to work makes it worst. It makes me depressed, I just can't seem to get out of this rutt. Has anyone ever got better from this? What have you done to get better? I just wish I was a happy person and I'm just not, I just wish things would get better.

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello serrt...I have been in a deep hole on several occasions in my life and yes it does always get better! It seems like my mind tells me not to do the very things that will help me get out of the hole. Are you able to get therapy on a regular basis? The best is group therapy  and individual therapy at the same time. Just wondering. I will say a prayer for you!!
    • Posted

Thank you for the response Adldiane and the kind words. I am waiting to see a therapist but with the NHS it can be a bit of a wait, they have me on the list. I don't know any other support groups I could join. It's just really hard sometimes, to even get out of bed and do anything. Anxiety really makes me feel awful and I can't cope with being out with people, or doing the things I enjoy. I know maybe i should probably try harder, when I do I have panic and anxiety. I do you cope with such situation? I hope it gets better soon! I'm trying to stay relaxed and focus on the good things but it's so difficult.

• Posted

Hi again. How do I cope when my depression gets me down? I take Klonapin as needed it's for anxiety and lexapro an antidepressant. Walking is the best medicine over anything but in a deep depression I need it all meds...walking and counseling.  However I understand that where you are it's hard to push yourself. Bottom line and I hesitate to bring this up but I pray and it works. You have hope you are not alone!!

• Posted

One more thing. I'm not familiar with NHS if you can help me with this. 

• Posted

Hi serrt - sorry to read of your situation. You are not alone. Meds will take 3-8 weeks to fully work. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to depression - what works for one may not work for another. If your meds are ineffective or detrimental, the dosage may need tweaking or perhaps a new med prescribed. Good on your for arranging the therapist. Meanwhile, keep a note of how you are feeling and if there is no improvement, see you doc. Hang in there and best of luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.