Depression and cipralex

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive been emotionless and quiet for most of my life, I've had a normal life with friends and a girlfriend, untill a small problem with my gf have triggered major depression in me, i stoped doing the things i used to do, started only thinking negatively, wasn't able to sleep for a week, then i pushed my ego away and started psychotherapy and antidepressants, one day i feel good, one day i feel bad, then the next day i feel even worse, i started envying healthy people for being mentaly healthy, i stopped going to the gym and watching my favorite shows or even listening to music, i started convincing my self that it was all a pretend and i never liked doing all the things i uses to do, i really wanna know something, does the overthinking go away after you recover feom depression?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

the jury is still out on that one. recovering from depression. yeah, i've gotten better. over the years. i have my bad days along with some okay days. but i am not cured or anything. by far. i never gave it much thought that i could possibly be "healed" of it one day. for me , its always there. the only thing that changes is how i react to it. sometimes i manage, and sometimes i need help. i guess i'll always have some sort of depression everyday. being that it started when i was seven years old. now i am in my fifties. yeah, looks like i'll have it forever. i know my illness shouldn't define me as a person....but it's really all i know. for me, it's always been hard work to get better. even with all the practice i've had. it's still a chore. but, i have adjusted. i appreciate good things more as i get older. and now i am learning how to be great to myself. not easy. and that "over thinking" thing you mentioned? when i am stressed, that's exactly what i do. so, i dont know. everyones depression is always different. i feel bad that you cant enjoy life the way you managed years ago. maybe it'll come back. you just never know. good luck to you!   from laura
  • Posted

It should disappear when you get well, unless you are the obsessive type.
  • Posted

I tend to agree with Richard.  I guess with some people, especially when they have been depressed the majority of their lives, it is harder.  But, I fall into that group from severe child sexual and emotionally abuse (and getting herpes at the age at 5) and I can say, at the age of 61, I am happier and more content with myself, my life, my relationships, everything.  I do suffer chronic pain, migraines and cluster headaches but aside from that, I have a great life.  I accept what is wrong with me, both mentally and physically, and know that I am a smart, capable, giving, caring person who has come into my own.  I love who I am and that is what beats depression.  It was not easy or quick, but I have been there for about 10 years now.  I do take antidepressants and will always take them because I know my brain cannot remain happy without the help they give me.  Small price to pay, I'd say.  So, chin up.  Situations happen that cause us angst which can turn to depression but if you can realize it is coming, you can do things, like listen to music, help someone else, laugh at everything and anything, whatever.  Sounds like you are analytical, so you may over think things.  Write those things down as science has shown that this type of "therapy" tricks our brains into thinking we have been to the shrink!  Going for therapy is good, too, and I probably would not be alive without it for many years.  You will find those things that work for you in time.  Do not give up and be kind to yourself.  Look in the mirror and tell yourself the things about yourself that you are proud/happy about.  Baby steps.  At first, you may only like your eye brows!  Trust me, that will make you laugh and, voila, you have 2 things you like about yourself.  It all starts with being gentle and kind to you.  Treat you like you would like someone who loves you (and is nice...) to treat you.  Today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.  😎

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.