Depression and CV

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys,

I'm just looking for a little advice and to find out what other people have done or would do in this situation.

I've suffered from depression for a few years and been on and off medication. Recently it got a lot worse. I had to take time off work during my probationary period and because I was off for so long they obviously didn't keep me on so I have had no job as of May. Ive been going to counselling and seeing my doctor and would love to get back into work as I think this would help, even part time for now.

However, how do I explain my time off work on my CV?

I had written that I was off with ill health during my probationary period and my job let me go. I got an interview the other day and was obviously quite happy that even though I had put that on my CV, they wanted to see me. But during the interview, the guy started asking questions about what my 'ill health' had been and I felt really embarrassed. I thought an interviewer wasn't supposed to probe you about it. I thought if I had written ill health and explained it was resolved and I was ready to work again then that would be okay. Afterwards the interview just seemed rushed, as if he wasn't interested in what I was saying. I was in and out in 10 minutes...

Anyway, now I'm worried I'll never get another job because of this. In order to work again do I need to lie?

If anyone else has ever gotten around this then please let me know...

Sorry about the long post and thank you so much for reading!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cee10

If you live in the UK I may have found something relevant to you. I'm not sure how the mods are about posting external links though. I have a quote from the page and I'll put the link in a 2nd reply. That way if the forum mods don't like the link they don't wipe out the whole msg.

It's an article from The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/careers/careers-blog/disclosing-illness-to-employer

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of job was it you had applied for?

​D

• Posted

Hi how about saying the last job didn't work out but don't give a reason.  You could say you realised it was a mistake but at the time you were so keen to work you went for it anyway.

Make sure you then praise the company you will be working for and say this job is exactly what you are looking for.   Make sure you research the company first and ask some pertinent questions to show how keen you are.   I wouldn't mention ill health at all as they generally don't ask specifically and if they ask whether you consider yourself to have a disabilty which could affect your work then say no if you consider that is the case.  

I hope this helps.  Bev x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.