Depression and PMS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

I am a 32 year old female and was diagnosed with clinical depression in my late teens. I have been on antidepressants ever since, the last several years on 200mg daily of lustral.

I have always been convinced my depression is related to my hormones...despite the antidepressants,  for approx 1 week per month I am depressed, majorly irritable and generally angry with no self control. I have done some research into depression and pms and am more convinced that these 2 are related for me. My doctor agrees. But can only suggest antidepressants to help, or the pill. I have tried all variations...combined,  progesterone only...All make me more psychotic! 

I am now trying to live a healthier lifestyle through diet and exercise...Also I am reducing anti d's...can anyone relate and if yes, what have you done to help yourself? Supplements etc?

Any responses appreciated!

Jules

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Here you go this is something I found in another discussion which might help

Vitamin B12 , omega 3 fish oil, magnesium and zinc are all very good. There are many others from good health shops. If you google natural alternatives to antidepressants you will find a lot on there. St. John's wort is supposed to be very good but I can't take it because it has a small amount of alcohol in it and I'm a recovering alcoholic so not a good idea for me to take it lol. I have also read about a natural remedy called SamE but I think it is expensive but very popular in America. 

• Posted

hI

I also think that it is connected to hormones. When I had my chidren I had postnatal depression and went on sertroline 100mg. I have now been on them for 25 years. I have since been and seen a gynacologist who says he could help me with a a hormonial  coil and I could be tapered off sertrolin.  I also feel really tired drained and moody one week of a month regardless of taking sertrolin.

• Posted

Hi hun. My depression and moreso anxiety is definalety worse at certain times in the month & has made me so agitated ill & anxious. Although ive turned a corner in this major bout of depression & getting better im still suffering depression linked to pms. Also i was hospitalized whilst pregnant due to ante natal depression for almost 2 months as my body could not handle the hormone surge. Xx the pill as well is a no no.! Makes me psychotic. Its unbelievable how much hormones play a role in how much lower i am during pmt. I have started to take magnesium, omega 3, vitamin b12 & 6, & oil of evening primrose. Ive been taking them since nov but cant say if they or my increase in anti depressants have caused my mood to lift again xxx good luck in finding something suitable xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.