Depression & anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Abby19x

Being going tonight a tough time lately only recently turned 18 and I suffer with health anxiety since 2015 when my auntie was murdered I’m now on a waiting list for CBT therapy but it’s 6 week waiting list I’m feeling really fed up now and starting to wonder whether tablets would help but I don’t understand about them just looking for some advice ?? 

1 like, 17 replies

Report Reply

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi abby19x really sorry about whats happened to you. It must have been traumatic for you and yr family X

My neice has health anxiety too after the death of her grandad.

She was prescribed prozac ( fluoxetine ) and its helped her a lot although not cured it. I know its quite hard to treat. There are a couple of other anti depressants too the dr could try and c.b.t is helpful but as u said prob a waiting list. If u are willing to try medication to help with yr symptoms see yr dr who can give you a better idea of what is available . Hope it helps to stop that vicious cycle of health anx for you. Give u some peace. Xx obv meds arent for everyone but whatever u decide i hope u feel better soon ;0))

Report Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for all your advice I will go and speak to my doctor about it. Then hopefully things will start to look up. And I hope your niece is okay. Health anxiety is really annoying I’m constantly stuck in this vicious circle of worrying about my health and I’m fed up now so fingers crossed something will help x
      Report Reply
  • Posted

My niece still has some struggles but is nowhere near as bad..

Yes definately go to see yr dr and try to get advice on what you can take or try whilst on the waiting list. Let us know how u go on. Please remember some ppl suffer side effects and they can take a few wks to kick in. So if you are mindful of that u can be ok in the fact that if u have any ill effects its just your body adjusting to a new medication if thts the way u choose xxx some people are fine. Were all different. Good luck ;0)

Report Reply
    • Posted

Do you want to take my number so I can keep in contact and let you know, has your niece not been offered cbt? It’s meant to help but she said not always it does but it’s worth the try. I went to my doctors and they said refer yourself so went online within a week they contacted me how old is she? X
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi shes 23 but has been going thru thus since 17. Yes shes been offered cbt but wont try it. Unsure why... i will send my email add to u in a private msg if ok as im moving house november and im mad busy but check my emails often. X p.s hope cbt helps u.
      Report Reply
  • Posted

Hello, i experienced health anxiety when i was younger. Anxiety manifests itself in many physical and mental ways. Headaches, chest tightness, muscle tension, palpitations, fast heart beat, insomnia, and mentally, you assume the worst, can feel dizzy, lose concentration, the list goes on. You worry about the slightest thing, which then causes more anxiety, and it just escalates. I was an anxious person, the thing that drove me over the edge, was taking caffeine tablets, so i could weight train late at night. Utterly ridiculous thing to do. After a while, heart suddenly started beating fast for no reason, went to hospital. There was nothing wrong. Trouble was the damage was done, i was convinced i had heart problems. It took a long time to recover. Didnt take any medication. Once you have elevated anxiety, it takes a long time to come down. 2 things helped me. I had to completely cut out caffeine. I mean completely. No drinks at all with it in, coffee, tea soft drinks, or any food stuffs. Caffeine is fuel for anxiety. That helped it come down after a few weeks. Make sure you cut it out completely. A friend suggested shiatsu. Its a medical type massage on the same body points that are used in accupunture. I had 6 sessions and my anxiety completely went. For anxiety, hands on shiatsu is more effective than accupuncture. Thing is, i didnt see how it could help, didnt believe in it, but it worked. I became incredibly relaxed during the massage, it felt like i was in a dream. After, when walking home, it felt like i was floating. I was anxiety free for a few years. When your anxiety starts to drop, the worries start to lessen, which lowers your anxiety further, and so on. Dropping caffeine is an absolute must. Try googling for things to lower anxiety. Try them, and see if they help. Dont watch tv or films that cause suspense or anything like that. Hope some of this helps.
    Report Reply
    • Posted

Just rememberred a couple more things that helped me sleep. Watching tv in my lounge with the lights on, until i fell asleep. When you wake up, then you are tired and relaxed enough to go to bed. Drove my parents mad, as i didnt tell them why. Another thing, get used to keeping the radio on, or play some of the music for anxiety on yiu tube, they last for 8 hours. Play it quietly. It will not keep you awake, like you think it might. Its continually distracting your mind, while you are worrying. The continual distraction, from your worrying, is what eventually relaxes you, and you drop off to sleep. I still do this, and it always works.
      Report Reply
    • Posted

My sleeping pill are recordings of rain. I have them on my phone, earplugs in, snuggled up in bed, works a treat. If you don't like rain there are sounds of the forest, sounds of the seashore etc. If you get wet you have another problem that has nothing to do with the recording and as raincoat won't help...

Report Reply
  • Abby19x

Posted

I was also wondering I’m only 18 and if I decided to start tablets what would the future bring when it’s time to come off them? My only worry is that I’ll just go back to how I was before ... any advice or information??

Really struggling on whether to or not 

Report Reply
    • Posted

Thats what i thought when i saw your post. Having said that, they can work very well. Looking back for myself, i would have benefitted from meds. You cant allow for every eventuality, especially the future. I would base your deision on the present, and whats best for you now.
      Report Reply
    • Posted

I’m definitely up for trying them I have nothing to loose as I’m fed up now and just want to feel myself. The only thing stopping me is what will happen when it’s time to come off because I can’t be on them forever because I’m only young. What helped you over come health anxiety? 
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Dont worry about what will happen in the future. You never know whats going to happen to you. You might find the perfect job or partner, or whatever, and be so happy, you can come off them easily. On the other hand, some people need to take meds for the majority of their lives, as life deals them a bad hand, or simply they are a sensitive person. You cant predict what is going to happen to you. If the meds work, you would continue to take them for 6 months, so you are properly satabalised and recovered. They are not addictive. You would come off them slowly and gradually, and that could be it. On the other hand, if you experience issues coming off them, then you are probably not ready to do so. At the time, cutting out caffeine and shiatsu massage solved it for me for a few years. Coming off an anti depressant shouldnt be a concern for you, although when you do, you just do it slowly and gradually. All the best.
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Where do you go for Shiatsu massage? I will have to look into it and I’ll definitely talk to my doctor about going on medication. Do you reckon I can still do the CBT while on medication? 
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Yes, you can do meds and cbt at the same time. For shiatsu, you would google shiatsu practioners in your area, and approach one. Try to see if they have good reviews. It costs £40 to £50 per session. I had 6, and my anxiety went completely for a few years. Years later, i got depression, which was worse, and it didnt seem to work then. I know it works for anxiety, dont think it does for depression. You have cut out ALL caffeine, thats a big help.

Report Reply
    • Posted

once youve seen your dr, if you decide NOT to go on meds, try a supplement called 5htp. You should not take it, at the same time as an antidepressant. You can buy it in holland and barrett and chemists. its a sort of natural approach. Your body makes or extracts an amino acid called tryptophan, which your body processes it into 5htp. This is then used to produce seratonin, a happy chemical in your brain. More seratonin makes you feel better and calmer. Some physciatrists, particularly in usa, use it instead of anti depressants. Its sort of natural, and you dont get any side effects. it would take a good few weeks, before you felt the benefit. If you take anti depressants, you cannot take it, as they increase the effect of seratonin, leading to serious illness. You cant have any issues taking it, if you dont take anti depressants. Its the fact you cannot take it with anti depressants, which convinces me, taken on its own, it does work. If you go on you tube, theres loads of videos about it. its not addictive, and doesnt give you a high.
      Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New Discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.