Depression/Chemical imbalance

Posted , 6 users are following.

I went to GP after a number of months of feeling constantly exhausted.  I noramlly work out 5 times a wk but could not gather the energy to do two days in a row.  I lost interest in most things, started to be irriated very easily - which was the only emotion I seemed to possess. Other than that I was just feeling like things were going on around me even when I was involved in them & I was numb

Got bloods done & when returned clear my doctor sugested that I might need a bit of help & gave me Escitalopram 10mg. He said that sometimes there might be a slight imbalance in the system & taking these would help.  Is this a nice way of saying I was depressed? as he never actually said the words & I didnt think I was.  Looking back now & still taking the Meds I think I may have been & am worried about coming off them.

Any advice?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Aislinn - Escitalopram is an anxiety and anti depressant drug. You have not stated whether you are feeling better on the drug since taking it. You express concern about coming off them and I am wondering whether you have had any counselling with a therapist/psychologist to understand why you were depressed in the first place? Anti-depressants will address the chemical imbalance in the brain but are often used in conjunction with therapy so the patient can deal with any underlying issues and learn to recognise triggers to depression. he patient can then be weaned off the drug and ideally will return to a balanced and symptom free life. Talk to your doctor about your concerns - don't be shy about asking questions. It's your future and self-understanding you're asking about.

• Posted

Hi Wayne

Thanks for your reply, Yes I am feeling a lot better taking them (4 months now) & have not had any counselling.

Leading up to my symptoms there had been a relationship breakup & my dad had been diagnosed with cancer. I think this along with the everyday life stresses caught up with me. (Hindsight is wonderful)

I have prescription for 6 months so plan on seeing my GP to discuss coming off them

• Posted

Don't worry about coming off them. Take them for as long as you need them. The benefits totally outweigh the side effects. It won't do you any harm staying on them. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Smarts

I just wonder when I will know I don't need them anymore. I know I risk symptoms returning but I don't want the pills to be my life

I've always been a person who has dark days & could recognise them deal with them & move on. This time I couldn't lift myself out of it & don't want to pop a pill everyday to be "normal"

• Posted

Well it is an anti-depressant.

I can't think why a doctor would feel the need to find a "nice" way of telling you he suspects depression. It's an illness not a behaviour. Perhaps, said doctor is not very good at communicating, and expected you to understand his indirect approach. I think, if we can, we also want to take responsibility for our comprehension, and quiery doctors in order to be clear. I guess misunderstandings will happen, even with the best of intentions. But it seems doctor hasn't given you a direct diagnosis, just a prescription. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.