Depression, disgust , and frustrated

Posted , 8 users are following.

Trying to stay positive and then I try to do things, simple things and realize that I can"t. I can't jump in my car yet and go get my nails done or get a greatly needed pedicure. My husband has been a great care giver, nutrition , fluids, and of course my comfort have been his number one goal.......BUT it's hard to describe my pain, emotional feelings. He knows I am a strong willed lady(age 67) and compliments what little progress I have made. Looking forward to feeling better.

1 like, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Right. First of all I guess you're within the first six weeks of TKR?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Cecelia,  I'm 5 wks post op and was so fed up I got into the driving seat yesterday and today drove ten miles. That was enough for one day though. Couldn't have done it a week ago so know it's getting better.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Aaww, Cecelia, I know just how you feel as I'm sure others on this site do. How many weeks post op are you? You WILL be able to drive soon. It's just that things take so long! I understand how you feel about your husband too. Mine has been just the same, so supportive but unless you've been through this it's hard to understand how frustrating it is. I'm 13 weeks post op now and am able to drive, go to the shops, hairdresser etc So you too will get there.

I won't pretend I still don't get those feelings though. In my head I plan to do things, like go for a longer walk, then my leg reminds me that I still can't do this easily. It's hard keeping positive but then I have to remind myself how lucky I am to have a caring and supportive family. And that I am walking better than I was a few weeks ago. So try to keep your chin up and use this site to vent your feelings. It really helps.ūüėä Jen¬†

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

poor you ,but you will get better it just seems that it will never happen , so remember that feeling back in feb , then did it all over again in aug , but now its nearly nov and ive not been able to work for 18 months , but the light is shinning bright and im going back to work on the 3rd nov , never thought i would ever get there ,so take it easy cause you will soon be back on your feet , smile
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

How many weeks post op are you Cecelia? It does take a long time .i am 14/15 weeks and I am driving , walking fairly normally and not in much pain unless I do a lot.I still feel low at times and I get exhausted pretty easily trying to do normal things .housework etc. you will get better but it is a long process . Good luck

pam 14 weeks 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Morning Cecelia,

As you can see from my first post, I suspect you are very early on after your TKR.

First, and most important, is that was you're feeling is completely NORMAL.  Many of us on this site will jump in and confirm this.  It is a horrendous operation.  Some bounce back early, most people struggle for many months.  But you need to know it does gradually get better.

If you can't drive and get a manicure/pedicure (which, let's face it makes every lady feel better), then do what I did, have a mobile beauty therapist come to your home.  I did this the minute my awful stockings came off after six weeks.

Thank goodness for our partners.  My husband of 40 years has had to do personal things for me I'd never dreamed off, including washing my feet as part of the tedious strip wash.

Please come back to our little community.  Unless you've been through this, it is impossible to comprehend the traumatic physical/mental impact.

Lynn 17 weeks

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi cecelia I feel for you and it is difficult, demoralising and depressing a tkr is the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life and honestly at this stage 6 wks if anyone had told me how bad it was going to be I wouldn't have gone through with it. All I can say is it will get better and you sound like you have a fantastic support in your husband. I wish you well xxx
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up