Depression for years, don't know what to do. Opinions please!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had depression for as long as I can remember, I went to the doctors last year to get help and I have been on Prozac for the past year now and am recieving CBT. I am 17 almost 18 and am studying A-levels at college. The thing is, I don't have any passion left for the subjects I am studying. The only thing I enjoy is photography and I am studying that at college, but it's not going to get me anywhere. It's like 60% of me wants to drop out of college and get a full time job because I feel much more accomplished when I'm at work, I like the feeling of being needed and belonging to part of a company and also being self suffiecient and earning my own money. I feel like I could be a lot happier if I took this route, I could afford to learn to drive and get a car and move out with my boyfriend and all that stuff. But the other 40% of me knows it's sensible to finish my second year at college and then do all this stuff, but what's the point if i'm not going to uni? I feel like if I stay at college another year it's going to be a massive stuggle for me mentally like this last year has been. I just need opinions. Thanks 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam , I am a mum whose going through exactly the same issue with my daughter who is doing a course at college but feels more worthy at co-op.Bottom line is if you stop now you will be seen as someone who can't commit to something longterm and if you get your a-levels next year if you want to pick up further education when older it just makes life a bit easier.Bite the bullet and stick it out !!!!

• Posted

Hi Sam,

The thing is about giving up college now and start working is that, you can't just stop working because you don't like it anymore,because you have responsibilities, to pay the bills etc-if you want to drive and get your own place.

When i was back at school, i never went, i truely regret it now, because i could of done so much better, instead of working at a string of dead end jobs.

If you really like photography and are good it, then there are jobs around for that, wedding photographer perhaps?

Anyway if i was you, i'd finish my studies, then perhaps go to uni, because working full time and pay bills, ain't all that.

On the other hand- do what makes you happy & you will learn from your mistakes.

Take care x

• Posted

Hello Sam it seems that whatever you do is not right ...why not take a year off get a full  or part time job and just chill out for a while and then decide ,do what you want to do because the way you are feeling in your head right now is not the right way to study for your A levels as the stress is really getting to you

.This is your life choose what is best for YOU not anyone else as we are on this world but once so go with your heart .

• Posted

Thanks everyone, I was planning on taking a year out between college and uni but I don't think I'll be going to uni anyway. I was just going to get a full time job and just see how I felt then. I understand that having A-levels might help but I am not going to become a photographer and be able to live off of that...Its just completely unrealistic. And my other two Alevels are in English which again gets me absoloutley nowhere.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.