Depression hand in hand with addiction

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am really starting to believe that depression and addiction go hand in hand... you find something that makes you feel a little better so you take it... not knowing that the thing you are taking contributes to your depression... anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh definately. I dont drink usually but if highly anxious or impulsive i would use alchohol. For me its always gone hand in hand althougj rare. But definately makes me feel worse xxxx
  • Posted

Hi UnicornFairy (great name) - absolutely. I used marijuana and alcohol for more than 25 years before I finally accepted the fact i had a life-long depressive disorder. I was high functioning - sociable, working, creative and caring - but i could count on one hand how many days in any given year that I felt "normal" i.e. not anxious, calm, cool and collected. I have since wondered, having received medical help, which path was better. The medical path has been all over the place and i have since approached it with suspicion. the drugs and booze - well, i worked in a very social industry and had a ball. I have accepted that my depressive disorder is permanent and part of who i am, as well as part of the journey of learning in this life. I also rea;ise there are many with mental health disorders that are far worse off than I, but I can recognise and totally empathise with that.

• Posted

I gave a thorough response to you from a position of experience and once again the moderators here have blocked my response. Sick of wasting my time on this site.
    • Posted

Thay are just safe guarding our interests , i had one checked the other day then it was posted so yours may be posted soon once it has been checked over .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.