Depression has just hit me hard! Help me!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, My long term girlfriend broke up with me after 5 years back in August and after this I abused illegal drugs for a couple of months which i now missively regret. In October last year i just started to feel very depressed. I had never suffered anything like this before and I was hoping that it would soon pass but if anything it just got worse. I finally went to see a doctor today who guided me to this website to gain some more knowledge.

Regarding how Im feeling I feel like i am not attached to the real world, In  a dream like state. I dont seem to have any drive or enthiusasm anymore i just try get myself through the working day. I always feel very tired and achy, I often sleep for 3-4 hours when i return home from work as I cannot stay awake. My personality has just dissapeared with depression, I dont really make jokes or find anything funny anymore. I put on a front to try find things funny but inside my body just feels nothing. I hardly reconise my own voice when i talk to people its strange. I also wake up 3-4 times a night which just means that when i wake up in the morning im always tired.

Has anyone else suffered these symptoms, It would be good to hear from people who have been through this.

Thanks!

2 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

It is called Derealization and it can happen after the prolonged use of drugs. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

archemedes how did you arrive at the fact that it was his drug use that was causing his problems ! long term drug use can cause problems but aaron by his own words was on them for a couple of months so we shouldnt rush to judge others aaron take care
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It was not an accusation Celtics, it was a statement of fact.

The very fact that he says he massively regrets his drug use indicates to me that he feels that there is a connection between his present condition and that period.

Futhermore he does not state exactly how long he was exposed to these drugs, or which drugs were involved.

If he we involved with LSD, peyote, psilocybin or PCP even for a short period, it is perfectly possible that this may have caused his problem today.

His best bet is to refer the matter to his doctor who will be in much better position than us to make the correct diagnosis.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi aaron glad you took the time to try out this group you will find lots of people who are there to listen ! regards your break up with your girlfriend you.will move on and learn.to be your self again ! do you think it was the break up or the drug use that brought your depression on im not judging you just wondering what you felt caused this regards the lack of sleep you really need to go to your doctor and ask what help he can give you 3/4 hours a night isnt right as im the same i hardly sleep at all and find myself nodding off at work but im getting help from the doctor !regards your inability to mix with others once youve got your depression and insomnia under control your ability to mix with.others will.get better ! please take care and if need please message me or post a message and i will get back to you as soon as i can david.!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Try to live more in the moment. Everybody goes through blips in life. When your mind wanders just try to bring your mind back to your breath or a current sensation in your body. As for the sleeping after work, you could make improvements perhaps have a bowl of porridge in the morning and try to see if there is a way of lessening ypur workload, do you do a very physically demanding job? I would also advise cutting down on caffeine after midday and perhaps substituting it for slow burning carbohydrates eg porridge, bananas. Also try to make yourself physically tired, if you've got an office job try to stretch your legs every 30 minutes or so, as sitting down is an unnatural posture for the spine and thus jobs involving lots of sitting can lead to back pain. Collectively Id advise looking into 'sleep hygiene'. Good luck and I hope you start to feel better soon
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Aaron. I'm going through similar situation at the mo, I hit coke hard for a few years to 'forget' my problems, it made the come down so much worse when reality hit. Not touched it in about 6 months & I'm actually trying to deal with my issues now, I'm on anti depressants. I too sleep pretty much as soon as I get in from work. Then worry all night. The pills do work so get to ur gp, I hated the thought of taking them but now I'm on them it is a little easier. Anyway I have an understanding of what you're going through so if you fancy a chat let me know
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for all the replies its massively appreciated. Just to clear things up It was MDMA that i abused. I only took the drug 4 times but the 4th and final time I took a stupid ammount and this is why I believe my current state is connnected to the drug abuse. It might have nothing to do with that and maybe it was to do with my relationship break up or other things. It just seems odd how I felt this way such a short ammount of time after the Drugs.

I had derealization in the first few weeks after drugs but what I have been suffering with lately is something different and by what I have read online is depression. I have maybe 1-2 days a week where I feel somewhere near being normal but the rest of the week I just feel awful! All the symptoms i explained earlier hit me hard on these days. I must admit I do feel alot worse after having alot of Caffeine so maybe I will start cutting this out.

I wont be able to lessen my workload as I do manual Labour. I am trying to keep my mind occupied by joining a gym and just setting myself little targets. I really want to get better without getting medication for depression but Im not sure right now if this will be possible or not.

Thanks again!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi I'm so sorry to hear how sad you are feeling it has nothing to do with taking illegal drugs your feeling like this because your human and your heart has been broken from your spilt from your girlfriend. You should go to your doctors and ask for some medicine to help you get through this difficult time in your life you will feel better in time but not over night. Breaking up with someone you love is very hard be kind to yourself and one day you will love again, take care
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've never taken drugs and I have suffered exactly the same symptoms as you when I had a breakdown, several years ago now.  I still get depression but nowhere near as bad now.  When I had the breakdown I could not get more than 2 hours sleep at a time.  I went to a psychotherapy group for about 5 years, took citalopram for 4 years, thought I might never get back to work, but I did eventually.  It took 5 years of therapy, and anti depressants, an absolute determination to get well again, and 2 years of self directed rehabilitation to find a job and keep it.  The sleep problems took about 4 years before I could think clearly enough to be able to describe it to my doctore.  She printed me off a load of information about sleep p roblems with ideas of what to do about it.  I tried lots of them, the one that worked for me was staying up for 24 hours.  After that I got a steady 6 hours unbroken sleep every night.  Nowadays (10 years later) I still find I need 9-11 hours per day when depressed and particularly in winter.  I am always better in the summer because of greater light levels.  I find I also need to spend some time outside every day, especially in winter to get as much light as possible.  google seasonal affective disroder for more info on that.  Good luck, you will get there.  Ask your GP about cognitive behavioural therapy as well.  Tablets were only part of the solution for me. 
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up