Depression Help - Medication

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am struggling so much today - iv had anxiety/depression for the last 3 month - and its been up and down - i had a phase for a week or two i felt fine and thought i was getting better but then it hit me again - today has been very bad - feeling really nauseous - feeling weird and weak - tired - head pressure - headache - heavy feeling 

i have never taken medication in regards to it - i took kalms that didnt help - was given citalopram by doctors but was too scared to take it - this week i started taking St Johns Wort - after 3 days i decided to stop taking it as nothing was happening and today i have been really really bad getting everything i mentioned above 

i have contacted a therapist and will be meeting him on monday - im scared to take citalopram as iv read so much bad things about it - but i really dont know what to do now -  i feel really bad at the moment - 

2 likes, 13 replies

Report / Delete

13 Replies

• Posted

I also tried what you tried. I would suggest citalopram and CBT therapy. Doctors will really help. It took me a while to pluck up the courage to even get to the doctors but it will be worth it in the end .I'd suggest exercise and do something you love. All the best and remember you're never alone talking helps .

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The citalopram but it did help with CBT as you are talking about things that seem massive in your head but aren't actually all that bad once you say the things . All I am thinking is that it won't be forever on these just need to sort myself out .I'm 26 and moved 4 times in the last 4 years with my husband's job .it's very lonely and hard to make friends so I'm not so lucky but I can always pick up the phone. I felt a bit sick at first with citalopram but I now take them before bed. All medication can have side effects but it's definatley worth the try if it makes you feel better right ? It will take a few weeks to get in to your system. Hope this helps

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I didn't take the same medicine as you are talking about but have been on Prozac and now am on lexapro. When I got on Prozac it worked fast but everyone is different. Usually I think it takes a couple of weeks. I just hate for you to miss out on some quality of life based on fears.  Good luck!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there. So sorry that you are having a hard time. At a very low time in my life I took an antidepressant and it gave me my smile back and I was very fearful to take it! Boy did it help. Good luck and as Aimee said you are never alone those of us that struggle with depression understand. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

i really really want to take Citalopram - but i am sooooo scared to take it as everyone says you feel really bad at the beginning and the withdrawal symptoms are bad  - 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi again I can't speak to that particular one. I took Prozac first and boy was it good for me. Try not to get stuck on one medication ask the doctor for other recommendations. I get tunnel vision sometimes when I am in a black hole of depression. I try not to project too far into the future sounds like you need help now.  Good luck. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

did you start feeling better from the start ? or did it take time ? 

i didnt mention earlier but i am getting married in 3 months and relocating - people think this is the reason why i am depressed but i dont know - i talk to my partner about it all the time and i feel as if im letting her down and this isnt what she signed up for - she has always been supportive talked to me about it but i know its hard for her. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am so sorry you are struggling at the moment.

Please don't let a few scare stories stop you from getting the help you need. Citalopram taken at a low dose is really fairly mild but it might just give you enough of a boost to get the most from your therapist.

Everyone reacts very differently to the different antidepressants. I was on a fairly high dose of citalopram a few years ago and came off it without any problems. However I've really struggled to get off of venlafaxine recently.

Any antidepressants take a while to kick in - normally a minimum of two to three weeks with maximum benefit being felt after around six weeks. There is a slight risk you may feel worse at the beginning, more so with people under the age of 24 but this is why it's really important to be monitored by your doctor at first.

Good luck

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there,

Everyone responds to medication differently so I do think you need to express your concerns about celexa to the doctor/psychiatrist. There are so many options out there. So be open about your concerns and ask any questions or concerns you have. A pharmacist is also very knowledgeable and will speak to you in depth on ant questions and concerns you have. I find my pharmacist very knowledgeable and there is no "stupid questions". You are putting this in your body. So ask all the questions and voice your concerns. I encourage you to at least try an antidepressant of some sort.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi every drug ever known has side effects.  Would you not take aspirin or paracetamol because of the side effects?  You need to keep this in proportion.  If you do get any side effects then they will most likely be mild and the common ones.  You would be very unlucky to get the more severe ones. 

It's up to you of course.  x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You were born on 87? Im a 86 baby, but anyways i been going through all that. Is feels weird like you said. You know this is going to sound cliche but i started going to church and now i can fight back the anxiety and depression. Without medication!! Eveytime is comes i start praying and it will go away. When you start knowing who God is you start overcoming anything. If you want me to help you more in how to get rid of this for good let me know i can give you my email
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up