Depression made worse by breakup

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi I'm 24 years old and recently split up with my girlfriend who I have been with for 4 years I've been suffering with slight depression and anxiety for a year now things had been going quite bad lost my job family moved away stop seeing my mates so all I had was her she meant the world to me but lately she's decided she wants more of a life with her mates instead of being with me which is unfair considering I lost most of my mates s because of her it's only been two days and they've been the worse two of my life I feel like there's nothing out there for me I dont wanna work watch tv or anythink I've barely eaten and ive bin drinkin both days since it happened its the only thing that makes me happy I have no one too see or talk to I really feel like this it for me

0 likes, 42 replies

Report / Delete

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm so very sorry for you Luke you have been through more than enough these past few years. It will get easier wth time. I would say stop drinking now that will ony moe things worse. Do you have anyone you can talk to? Also, have you even treating your depression with therapy/medication?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It is hard at the beginning of a break up but it does get easier I've been through that before too I lost all my friends through a relationship also.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It is hard at the beginning of a break up but it does get easier I've been through that before too I lost all my friends through a relationship also. Chin up
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there,

I am so sorry you have had this awful experience. It can be so hard when you get dumped as I suffered very badly when my ex broke up with me - I had all your symtoms and felt like everything was pointless. 

I know it will sound patronising to say that things will get better, so I'd rather say that things will change - you won't feel so unhappy forever, it will hurt for probably a long time but slowly it will ease off as time really does help you heal and reflect on everything.

Also maybe you need to make changes to be closer to your family or friend if this is possible. It can't be easy dealing with this by yourself and maybe you need someone to talk to just to let it all out hun. 

I hope you feel a bit better my dear. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've been taking St jobs wort and 5htp but now it seems there not doing anything I know that drinking makes things worse but for Me it feels like they can't get any worse all I can think is my life won't get any better until I get her back no matter how much time silly thing is wen I was with her I thought if we broke up I'd be fine and just move on like I have before but it's just made me love her more she was the only person in my life really my grandad is in hospital atm so neither him or my nan want to be troubled with my problems no one else in my family ever wants to know me anymore
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Maybe you need to talk to your GP about how depressed you are, sometimes a little help is needed at times like this. It's horrible but sometimes you have to go through the pain to get out to the other side of it. 

xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am thinkin about it I do need someone just to be around I've managed to get an old friend to come out tomorrow I'm hoping that will help
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That is really good news Luke. I would definitely go to your doctor and talk to them about CBT and possibly medication. I went to group therapy and became friends with people there, it was great. You'll find lots of support

X

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yea I'm hoping things get better I have spoken with my ex she's gunna see Mr tomorrow not necessarily sort things out but apparently she still cares and is worried about me but all I think is how can I get her back I'm pretty sure I have social anxiety so meetin new people really is a problem i guess if things don't good to pro I have to face my fears 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Luke I'm in same boat mine was divorce , but it will get better. Your 24 I'm not sure if you have kids but if you haven't then it's a saving grace that you can clean break from this person who in my mind has become selfish for what ever reason.

you have to break chain if you can, it's not easy I know that but try to think about things you want to do. Also try not to allow the drink to be the norm. It's early doors and I appreciette it maybe a short term fix but it most definitely is not something you should do long term as alcohol is a depressant in its self

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I haven't yet I was gunna see what I'm like Monday as I need to try and get out this weekend I met with her about hour ago she wants to be my friend and be here for me her mates have told her to wait a couple of weeks and see if she misses me but she's said shes gunna do that but wants to see me a couple of times a week as a friend but is that not gunna ruin the point of waiting a couple of weeks?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Only you know its best whether to give here the benefit of the doubt. They key is you need to know whey she left you as if that is not resolved then she is likely to do it again. In the meantime I hate to tell you this but she could be seeing someone else and that might have gone sour so she may be waiting to see if that works out first.

Im afraid man or woman it doesn't matter in this day or age both sexes are as bad as each other I am afraid.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

She said she had lost feelings and wanted more of a life with her friends apparently I was restricting her and I've asked her if there isnsomeone else and she promises me there isn't cuz it kills me to think about that but she has always been honest about everything I want her to miss me she is the best thing that happened to me and has been a big part of my life for so long
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've said that to her but apparently I never really let her before which I definitely did I just didn't really like it for other reasons but she also says that she has lost feeling towards me because of it which is the main thing I can't get my head around
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Im afraid I would agree with Scottishlass77. She is trying to dump you but with out the pain and guilt. You dont dump someone just cause of friends. Do you know where she is now, is she with her parents or living with someone else ?

Do you live together or did you ? It all to me smells fishy, the is a piece of the jigsaw missing. You say she is honest, but in really terms do yuo really think she tell you if their was someone else. put your self in her shoes, admitting that in essence makes her the bad one.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up