Depression medication proble

Posted , 2 users are following.

been trying trazodone for a month. anyone give advice on why anxiety isnt being controlled by it?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ann

There could be all sorts of reasons why it's not controlling the anxiety. Firstly, everyone reacts differently to medication, what works for one may not work for another. Secondly, it's an antidepressant, not an anxiety med although like many antidepressants it has a sedating effect so it may help with anxiety that way. It could be that the dose needs increasing or you need to give it more time - most doctors will tell you it may take a few weeks to feel the benefit but they don't tell you that you won't feel the full benefit for at least 12 weeks.

• Posted

thank you for your reply. so i probably need to stay on this for up to 12 weeks. my diagnosis is anxiety with depression and until recently was controlled by diazepam until i think tolerance set in. thats why using trazodone. first week on it felt no need for diazepam but do now, is that because it needs more weeks do tou think.

• Posted

I guess if it felt like it was working the first week but not since, you may be on too low a dose. I think the maximum dose is 600mg so it could be worth asking if you can increase it.

It's never going to work like diazepam did as it is a totally different type of medication but is far better long term as far as addiction/tolerance is concerned.

Good luck, I hope you have some success with it. It certainly helped me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.