Depression whilst Pregnant and in hospital. help please.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all.

I have entered details of my daughters condition some time ago, but now she is 36 weeks pregnant with her second child, suffering severely, we now have concerns with help that she is in need of.

There are many health and mental issues she has to deal with, Anxiety, Depression, Kidney decease, severe back pains since giving birth last year and ME.

She has been admitted to hospital for the labour pains, placed on a ward, there are six beds to a ward. she is now placed in the middle of these beds, people coming and going, asking my daughter from time to time she is struggling, response " Oh you will be ok". This of course places her in a stressful situation and the anxiety starts.

I have spoke to the ward duty nurse to express the various issues our daughter has to suffer and asked if she might be able to have a single room. One reply is that there are none available, even though I have walk around and found three empty rooms. Another reply is, they are for the serious medical issues who have been transferred from another ward.

Now I know there are rules, however I feel my daughter is one of the categories that should be seen as a needy person. I do understand the pressure nurses are under, but trying to explain the needs for my daughter do not seem to get through to them.

Is there anything else I can use to get them to review the decision?, before I go to PALs.

1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Anthony, anything like this in the NHS and you should be able to get some support with this. Ignoring your daughter is totally inappropriate. I am a vulnerable adult with 2 special needs, so when I was in hospital alone because I needed a short procedure they put me behind the nurse's station. We have a thing in Leicester where I live called POhWER, they are a liaison service to help support people with the NHS. The patient advisory service may provide you with an advocate, who can act on your daughters behalf. If you speak to someone further up than the ward they may be able to hopefully get you and your daughter the support you need.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I really hope your daughter gets the help she needs this is mental someone needs to help wish I could xxxx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    U need too contact mental health team emergency team she needs proper care that's so sad she needs too be looked after poor girl u must be so worried about her xxx

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Thank you kindly for your replies . I have had to fight for both my children through the special needs, I had much success with my son, but trying to get help for my daughter these past few years is an absolute nightmare.

    I have been given written permission by my daughter to work on her behalf and just trying to get through that door is a task.

    Welbeing which she has seen on many occasions tell me  that they have gone as far as they can, whilst in hospital this last time with the pregnancy she had a visit from the hospital mental health team, she suggested that they will get her help, but as past experience tells us that could take months... 

    I think I will have to speak to PALs, see what they have to offer, although I have been in correspondence with PALs with in the mental health, but then realised that there was a different PALs for the Hospital, in this case Norwich & Norfolk University Hospital.

    It is all becoming very stressful and is having an affect on my own health, but as many of you know its hard to just switch off and let it be.

    Kind regards Ant.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    After reading PALS web page,below

    Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

    We know that it can be a worrying and confusing time when you or someone you know is unwell.  If you have concerns about any aspect of your care, or the service you receive, it is best to first speak with a member of staff involved with your care.

    If you find that staff cannot help you, or you are not comfortable speaking with them, you can contact PALS.

    PALS is a confidential service designed to support patients, relatives and carers.  You can ask a friend or relative to contact us on your behalf but we must have your permission before we can discuss your personal circumstances with anyone else.

    We are here to:

    Offer advice and support

    Help sort out problems on your behalf

    Listen to your concerns, suggestions or queries

    Provide information about the Trust’s services

    Pass on your compliments to staff contact with PALs

    Making contact with PALS in regards to my daughters care and situation I received the below;

    I write further to your email received in PALS.  I am sorry to read your concerns about your daughter’s inpatient care and follow up appointment and that you do not feel she had the care she needed.

    PALS is not able to investigate matters but we can pass this to the Complaints Team for them to investigate and provide you with a formal response.  I have attached information on the complaints procedure which you may find helpful.  Please let me know if you and your daughter would like this passed to the Complaints Team.  I look forward to hearing from you further.

    Am I missing something ?... Anthony.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up