Depression with no options

Posted , 6 users are following.

A year and a half ago I suffered a small concussion. It went undiagnosed for quite a while and I was eventually prescribed ativan and lexapro. This had a horrible effect on me and it damaged my already fragile brain. I weaned off both drugs (finishing in december 2017) and went about healing the concussion, I was able to do this up until a point. I felt ok in January. But since then I have got much worse physically and mentally. I really feel like my brain just isn't working. It is scary. 

Around 2 months I became completely exercise intolerant. The depression has become quite severe since then. I wake up with such a sense of dread. I can't enjoy anything at all. My physical state is so weak I can't go out for walks and I struggle to make myself food. 

I am scared because the depression is so bad. I've tried therapy which doesn't work because it is obviously a physical thing. 

I used to love exercise and it definitely helped but I can't even do that now. I have an amazing family and girlfriend but I can't even enjoy their company. 

I don't know what to do. The antidepressant I went on last time messed me up so bad I'm not sure I can do it again and I'm at a much worse starting point than I was back then. My physical shape is so bad I don't know if I could handle the side effects even if I wanted to. Honestly not sure what my options are. 

Is there any kind of test in the UK that helps determine if something will help you or not AD wise or is there anything else to look into?

I feel like I have a damaged brain that just isn't healing and i've no way to address this. 

1 like, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello, i dont know if the concussion is linked to your depression or not. The symptoms you have now certainly suggest you have depresssion. I would recommend either you pay to see a pyschiatrist, from a gp referral, or see your gp about trying another ad. In uk, it will take too long to see a nhs psyc. You do need an ad, and its a question of trying one, until you find one that works for you. You will not react the same way with all ads. I had same symptoms as yourself. No interest in anything, couldnt enjoy my family, and didnt want to get out of bed. My old ad stopped working, tried a new one, which made me much worse, saw a pysc, and i started another one. Its been really hard, but im slowly getting better. Im not right yet, and had to increase my dose, and may have to again. I dont think therapy will work for me. Theres no miracle cure, it will not be easy, and will take some time, but i think you have to try another ad.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sorry for my ignorance, about concussion and depression. Wasnt aware of the link. You are depressed though, and need to try another ad.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Naz

I would hope you have seen your GP. He has tried to put your concerns to rest. 

You could ask for a scan to check the brain, also various tests can see if you have any damage, the tests will complement the scan.

We do not know how old you are, that may dictate the diagnosis.

It could be Anxiety brought about at the time of knocking your head. Your GP will need to confirm a diagnosis that may come down to stress 

Are you in the States ?

BOB

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Have you been to see a psychiatrist he or she can help with your situation and make changes to your medication.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am sorry to hear that. Can your doctor give you a different medicine.? I am going to see mine soon to change mine up.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Had and MRI and CT scan, both came back fine. My gp is helpful but I'm pretty much bed bound. I can barely make myself food. Yes I am very depressed but I am also very sick. 

This all started when I took an anti depressant the last time. I am scared of how it will effect me this time. Is there no way of checking which one may be more suitable. GPs aren't well versed in the differences between them. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello, i think you have to give ad another go. Its common to try one, for it not to work, so you try another. Gps arent that clued up about ad, but have basic knowledge. Just because one didnt suit you, doesnt mean another will not. I tried a new one in jan, absolute disaster, brought me to my knees. Close to admitting myself. Paid to see a psyc, now recovering. A pysc will give you a more considerred choice. All of them are going to be difficult to get through. I just got up on both days of the weekend, first time in 3 months. My new ad has been good, and is getting better. Most people have to try a few until they find the right one. Does your gp think you have to give an ad another go? If so, please try it. Ive had such a bad time over the last 6 months, but last 2 weeks have been much better. Given me hope again.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Your GP will need to consider the best medication for you to take, sometimes other factors may need to be taken into consideration. Most Anti depressant medications are generally very similar although sometime what will suit one will not suit another.

We could suggest various medications, that would be very wrong. If I need or have to change a medication I do that on advisement, my GP. You could try NHS cHOICES, however, there will be no recommendations.

Trust your GP

BOB

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Honestly an SSRI got me into this mess. Is it wise going back to them to try and get me out?

My akathisia is brutal and constant, my brain fog is overwhelming and I'm constantly dizzy. I'm concerned that if I take one that reacts badly to me the akathisia will get even worse and I literally can't deal with that. 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up