Depression with severe anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. For 6 weeks I've been going downhill with severe anxiety and depression. My questions is, how many of you have really, really severe anxiety with your depression? For me it is almost the worst because I can't sleep, at all, not even during the day. So I'm on tranquilisers at night. I literally feel terrified for my life, like I'm on death row. I just can't see it getting better, because I had a major breakdown 3 years ago which took over a year to recover from and at least then I wasn't already taking medication so the docs had a range of options. Now I'm already on Lexapro (since 3 years ago) and now the transquilisters which i hate taking but otehrwise I can't sleep at all. So where to go now? I know I analyse it all too much and should just have faith but I can't. i feel like my life is over. I have a lovely son and family and feel like everything is lost. For me, this is the biggest didaster that ever could've happened to me, having another breakdown. the last one was so awful I feel like I bareful got out alive. And worst of all I'm haunted my memories not only of that breakdown but of my sister who took her own life 10 years ago due to mental health problems. I'm so, so terrified that I'll end up the same. It is hell. Sorry for the long post. Any words of help or wisdonw would be much apreciated. PS I ended up in hospital last time for +/- 2 months. Thanks very much

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Becky,

Your story is heart breaking, I am so sorry that you feel so bad. I am no expert, but perhaps your anti-depressants have stopped working, I have heard of that happening before, could that be a possibility? Do you have a caring GP? if you do I would get an appointment as soon as possible and share your fears, its awful to feel alone with your worries. The fact that you recognise how unwell you are has got to be a positive thing. 

Lots and lots of luck to you, please dont give up, things have improved in the past I am sure it is possible for them to improve again. :-)

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

thank you for your kind words. I have a psychotherpaist and see the psychiatrist attached to the practice. He's really nice, have seen him a few times in the past few weeks.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey, yes I have. So bad I couldn't leave the house. OCD/depression is my background. I find computer games help me, they take me out of my head, but basically any activity you enjoy/which demands your attention is a good release. Also, dont be afraid to open up to people who you trust, you dont have to tell them everything. Meditation and mindfulness helps, yoga works very very well. Id highly recommend it. Force yourself to go out to a yoga class, maybe a once a week commitment. Im not going to list any more ideas for the fear of bombarding you with too many ideas. Yoga works very well for stress relief though and helps you get out of the house. Sometimes its best to take small achievable steps than leap in way outside your comfort zone
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, do you have anyone to talk to? To answer your question yes I have anxiety with depression, sometimes extreme agitation although I was told that is a symptom of the psychosis I get. However I do think that anxiety and depression are one and the same thing.. it is so horrible to deal with I know because you feel like you can't go on dealing with it day by day.

There is a lot going on, probably stuff rearing it's head from the trauma of what happened with your sister. I find that anxiety is often related to things that are deep rooted and as you say "haunt" you. I have nightmares all the time about stuff I am trying to squish down as I don't want to think about it. Basically what I'm trying to say is that if something needs addressing, or dealing with/ acknowleding then it will find a way to make itself known. Hence the nightmares, anxiety, panic. Life can just trigger it all off sometimes and it's not your fault - you're only a human trying to deal with things in the best way you can.

I think you should maybe talk to a doctor or a therapist/counsellor, they can help you not feel so trapped with your own thoughts. Even just small talks with people, or opening up a bit can help. Just so you don't have to keep it all in your own head.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up