depressive episode out of the blue.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dear all. 

I am looking to connect with other people who have a depression like myself. 

My partner suggested this and I thought it might be a good idea. 

I apoligise if this is long winded but I need to get this off my chest so to speak. 

I have a long history of low self esstem and depression for as long as I can remember.

It is well controlled with Sertraline 150mg which I take in the morning. recently I have been going trough a rough patch with family concerns and aslso work has been playing a role in my troubles. 

the pressure with work, (I work in the NHS in a large london hospital) has been unbearable and now I am really considering taking action. I feel as a memebr of staff I am being bullied by management and with constant late finishes I feel like as if I cant take a lot more. I have raised my concerns to a collegeue of mine and the response I got was 'I am the same' I really do not know what to do. It has all come to ahead and I was really ill on monday which resorted to me calling the GP for help. I have now been signed off work for 10 days because of it. I spoke to OCC health at work to let them know of the situation and asked to speak to one of the nurses there to let them know that I am off sick.

The response I got was from the receptionist was 'I have to email them' To which I thought, no I dont want you to email I want to speak to someone! 

I am sorry if this sounds like I am sounding off. But what I want to know if any other NHS workers are feeling the same as myself, or in fact if anyone has something which would help me to try and help myself in improving my mood.

1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alex. I am in the same situation as you. I'm in the NHS and there simply is not enough staff, due to there not being enough money to fund them, especially at this time of year with budgets maxed out and used up.

One of the many projects I am working on should have a team of 30 - 35 full time members of staff.. we have 5.

I find this is having a serious impact on my health, and I have had 2 break downs in the last 12 months. Not caused by stress on its own, but more the stress agrivating the depression and anxiety.

I also feel like I cannot take time off because of the small team I work in and all the projects we have to deploy with the team not being big enough. That causes more strees and further agrivation.. and well, you know how it goes. Stuck on a downward spiral and I'm just waiting for another breakdown to hit.

Oh and also, my ocupational health department sucks to! They are simply appaling. They dont care about staff at all in my opinion. I think the aim of any occy health dept is simply to save money for finance. I know its all government money so they really have to monitor for anyone pulling a fake sicky.. but at least be honest about what they're actually there for? Dont pretend to care when its so apparent that they dont!

Sorry for the rant!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for your comments. 

No dont apoligize! I think stress is playing a role in this and this is exacerbating the problem I already have. I was wondering what are you doing to help to over come all of this stress?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm on various meds for various mental health issues, one of which is an anxiolytic and that really helps me.

But I also go out for a 5-10 minute walk if I get to stressed, the fresh air seems to calm me a little to.

I think my stress and anxiety is probably about 75% mental health issues realted and the other 25% work related. The work stress is very intense, but not as much so as my other stress sources.

Did you manage to speak to you occ health department?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I can relate to what you're feeling in regards to the depression. I've been back on Sertraline 150mg for a year now and 3 weeks ago I started feeling down and then a week later I hit a major depression/anxiety point. It's still going on. I talked to my dr yesterday and we are increasing me to 200mg. I'm hoping I can either "snap" out of it soon or the increase takes affect fast. Good luck to you.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Alex,

I sympathise with the work-related stress you are feeling. I worked for the NHS for 12 years (up until last September) and I did find my Occ Health dept very supportive. See if you can get an apptmnt with one of the OH doctors. I hope that your manager will take notice when OH get involved as everything will be documented (but confidential of course). I really think the NHS could be a lot better at looking after their own staff as they do their patients. Obviously, if they lost all their good staff they would not be able to care for their patients.

Take the time that you need and don't feel guilty. Your health is your primary concern atm and it is important. You wouldn't be in this position if you weren't under such stress. Take care,

Digsby

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up