Derealization and panic disorder, new doc appt tomorrow please help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have severe panic disorder and Derealization

People and things constantly look fake and and it gives me terrible panic attacks

When people mention the word panic or anxiety I get a panic attack, small unfamiliar rooms give me panic attacks, pretty much everything gives me a panic attack and it's terrifying like my heart feels like it's going to burst things look wayyy more fake then I'm used to. Goin outside makes me scared . And I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I have to discuss my issues. When I get asked questions about my anxiety it gives me panic attacks (not anxiety attacks but full blown I feel like I'm going to die panic attacks). Now I do understand to get the help I need I do have to talk to my new doctor about these issues. I'm terrified the last time I went to a doctor appointment (I was too young so I got referred to another place to get help) I was so anxious I was shaking my leg and when the lady said to me "oh now don't go getting anxious on me " I had a full blown panic attack and was like terrfyed

I was wondering if I could maybe call the doctor and tell them over the phone my issues so they could understand my triggers and how bad it is so I don't have to get scared? Whay can I do to avoid sitting in them tiny rooms and getting asked 2739402 questions about the way I feel because talking about it makes me feel insane and very very anxious.

I'm really scared please help me😭😭

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Remember the best place to have an attack is at the dr because help is right there...they are not here to hurt you...they want you to feel better and be able to live a happy life...look at them as a safe place
    • Posted

It's just scary like panic attacks are really no joke like I feel like I'm dying it's like a bad trip on drugs and I feel like everything is wrong and then stuff looks fake and I'm around a bunch of people I don't know and it just feels like the worst f*****g thing like sorry to swear it just upsets me so much and I can't handle it like it really scares me like physically and mentally

• Posted

Talk to your doctors surgery and they may be able to get a duty doctor to call you. If you can get there, then know you are in a place of safety. Write down everything you want to say and hand it to them. You can get your point across that way if talking about it is difficult. It sounds like this is really restricting your life so make sure they know that. Know that you are not alone in this, there are people here to talk to. Are your parents aware of how bad this is? Sorry not sure how old you are? Dealing with anxiety is not easy but if you take baby steps each day to start getting back to normality, then each little step is a little victory. I’ve been there and know how hard that is to do but you will get through this with help and support.
    • Posted

Im 16, and my dad knows but he doesn't understand how bad it actually is like he thinks he does but it's really bad.

I can give the doctor a piece of paper with my symptoms and issues and that will work?

• Posted

No reason why not. Your dad needs to understand the extent of this, it’s so important to get treatment while your so young. Show him the letter you write for your doctor and maybe even ask him to come with you for moral support if that would help. Knowing you have people on your side will help and you always have us to talk to.
    • Posted

I've explained it to him and broke down crying one night because no one was taking me seriously when I kept saying like, "you guys look fake snd it's really sketching me out" or that I'm about to have a panic attack until one night I just started crying because people really do look fake to me. It's honestly so scary.

And he tries to understand he really does but Derealization isn't really the easiest thing to explain to someone who has never experienced it. I guess my mother had symptoms like this which makes sense I guess. But he tries he doesn't believe in doctors or medication, but ive gotten him this far so I've already had an appointment set up but they referred me to another and he's really busy so it gets him mad, but in my opinion he can get over it . I can't even take a walk around the block without feeling crazy.

But I think I'm going to write down my symptoms rn and give it to the doctor i see tomorrow, I did already call the doctor's and talked to one of the nurses about what to expect and told them to be pretty easy on me because I'm so sensitive to certain things and she was really understanding so I think I'm going to write out the problems and side effects.

But how do I get over my panic attacks at the office? Like while talking to the doctors?

• Posted

I agree with lynsey72874: write a note telling the doctor/nurse that talking about anxiety and your symptoms will trigger a panic attack. Then write down all your symptoms on the note for them to read.

​I wonder if it would help to write a note to your Dad, too, and tell him all your symptoms, and how you are feeling/

​Just keep reminding yourself that the derealization and panic attacks and all the rest is how your anxiety is manifesting itself.

• Posted

What do you mean by manifesting? And yeah I definitely plan to write it out I'm a little nervous but I do have to deal with the anxiety that comes, there's no way around it so the best place to panic is there because they'll see how bad it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.