Desperate and dont know what to do!

Posted , 9 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

It all started 10 weeks ago when i went to the doctor, he thought i was suffering from a chest infection and gave me antibiotics and steroids, got no better and started bringing up food in my throat, he thought the steroids were to blame and said i had reflux. Since then ive had 8 weeks of hell, he treated me for h pylori (without doing a test i may add) to no avail. Ive had a whole load of symptoms that i wouldnt have even thought possible with reflux. Pins and needles and muscle spasms throughout body, adrenaline rushes, eye strain that causes weird feeling in my head, dry mouth, white foam, difficultly breathing, lump in throat, rancid bowel movements, i could go on. Ive been to get an endoscopy last week, and they said i had an inflammed stomach, gastritis and 2 polups that theyve taken biopsies from. I feel so down, this isnt me anymore, i lost over a stone and everytime i go to the doctor they just say its anxiety (which ive never suffered from before). Im convinced theres something wrong at the top of my chest that theyre missing, sounds weird but im getting funny feelings throughout my body when i swallow and struggle when breathing in. I feel like im going out of my mind, i feel no one is listening to me and im really scared. Looking to here for a bit of support. Any advice and reassurance would be gratefully received. Sounds silly but i really feel like im goin to die sometimes :-(   colleen

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

First off I want to say I'm sorry that you have to go through this. I've recently been through severe anxiety and currently going through acid reflux. I sometimes got so depressed that I never left the house, but with the right treatment there is always hope in getting better. I've been through 5 different forums reading a bunch of posts of people going through terrible symptoms for years, but eventually they get better! Are you getting any medication that gives you relief?
    • Posted

hi lewis thanks for your reply, im currently on lansaprozole which im really not sure is working or not. I get so much pressure when i eat and find it difficult to swallow that half the time i have to bring my food up. The anxiety thing im finding hard to deal with as ive never been like this before and think my family is struggling also. I just dont understand how i got here eh. 10 weeks ago i was fine :-(
    • Posted

My only suggestion I can make is to see other doctors as other doctors generally have different opinions. Also, change your diet and your lifestyle. Daily exercise really helped with my anxiety! If it is gastritis it will get better with the proper meds or atleast give you relief! How long have you been on the lansaprozole? It took me about a week to start feeling some improvements for my PPIs.
    • Posted

Since last friday lewis, just got the endoscopy on thurday. No one has spoke to me about diet, any advice?
    • Posted

Wow I am surprised your doctor hasn't talked to you about a diet! There are many trigger foods that can irritate your stomach even further! Stay away from hot and spicy foods, high fatty foods, and dairy. Basically, just eat healthy. If you search online I am sure you can find a list of foods that you should stay away from. The diet can be boring and bland, but it will be worth it in the end! Stay strong Colleen!
    • Posted

no he hasnt, they havent been much use at all. Ill do some research, mind u im finding i really dont want to eat, too scared. thank u for your advice, this group might just be what i need. 
    • Posted

You're welcome! This group helped me when I was in need as well. If you have any more questions or problems don't be shy to keep posting until you get an answer. I know eating is hard for you right now, but you need to stay healthy and strong. By the way, if your medicine isn't working, go back to your doctor and tell him about your symptoms. He may prescribe you something stronger or more doses throughout the day, but I say give it at least a week to see if it kicks in!
    • Posted

thank u lewis. i seem to get different symptoms everyday. the last few days its been like i have a numb chest and throat, today i appear to have a bit brain fog, not control of my own body feeling. could that be my meds?
    • Posted

I am not sure about the numb chest, but I am assuming that the numb throat is the thing that makes it harder to swallow? This is a symptom of gastritis. Whereas the brain fog it could be because of taking too much of the medicine. Make sure you're not taking more than you're prescribed. I remember every time I took 150mg of Zantac I would get brainfog and get the jitters, but once I reduced it to 75mg I never felt it. If the problem persisits then I think you should tell your doctor. Also, not everyone gets the same reactions to medicine! Some medicines give different reactions to different people, so you should get the one thats best for you. I wish I could help you more, but unfortunately I'm not an expert sad If the symptoms are too much for you then you should get some over the counter medicine that will give you instant relief. However, don't get medicine without consulting your doctor as it can make it worse!
    • Posted

hes got me on 2 x 30mg of lansaprozole and  streoid nasal spray, just want to feel like me again eh 
    • Posted

Lansaprozole could take weeks or even months to work.. That is why some people are prescribed instant relief medicine with their PPIs. See your other doctor ASAP! Hope you feel better soon smile
    • Posted

Thank you lewis, dont feel well tonight, i feel like ive taken a couple of valium, im wondering if its the lansaprozole thats doing it to me, i had a reaction to omeperazole too :-(
  • Posted

Colleen it happens to all of us refluxers. I can only imagine how terrible you are feeling sad. Don't worry, just stay strong and keep as healthy as possible. If your doctor isn't helping you change doctors and change your diet too. What have you been put on? Any meds that give you relief?
    • Posted

hi tamsyn, thanks for your reply. I just dont understand it. How can acid reflux give you all these symptoms and anxiety? Ive been put on lansaprozole and a nasal spray and antihistomine. The last 2 just yday. Did all this happen to you? No one has advised me on diet, any advice? I feel the doctors think im crazy with all these things i tell them. I changed docs last week as my previous one was really quite nasty to me, im hoping these new ones will help. colleen 
    • Posted

Geez Colleen I am so sorry. What has worked for me is a clean vegetable diet, raw vegetables are really good for reflux. Try this for a week and see if it will help. You need to have your veggies fresh for smoothies at breakfast and crunchy salads at lunch.
    • Posted

worth a try. not that eating appeals anyway, ive lost my taste throughout this as well. needing rubbed out and drawn in again

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up