Desperate for help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've recently been diagnosed with anxiety,the anxiety symptoms are swallowing phobia,I can't eat anything ,I can only drink ,I have not ate hardly anything for 2 weeks,it's getting worse as I am panicking about loosing weight,then that is making my anxiety worse and making it impossible to swallow.i have been prescribed 10mg of cilotropram ,but only been on them a week so they obviously haven't started working,I'm so scared that I won't be able to eat again ,have anyone had this problem

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No Suzy I haven't had the problem thank goodness,  but, First thing is to drink plenty of fluids to keep you hydrated.

I would go back to your GP for a second oppinion or A&E they should help you.  

Perhaps you should see a counsellor to help find out why you have this problem.

The cilotropram should have worked for you by now Suzy if it is going too.

You will eat again when you are feeling better.

Love and best wishes Patx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply,I have an appointment back with the doctor Friday,I'm gonna maybe suggest upping the dosage of the tablets,I'm on the lowest dose and only taken 7 so far,so am thinking they haven't had chance to get into my system yet,I'm worrying so much that I'm not going to survive on just fluids ,Suzanne x

• Posted

It's generally normal to start out at this dose and takes time. Give the medication time to work, It generally takes 2 weeks. It's a blood level type of medication . Then dr ck up next appt . If ok the dose can be adjusted to a higher dose to accommodate your level of anxiety.

its good your getting treatment for this and important to continue with your meds. 

This will pass .

Anxiety is a progressive cumulative of fears, worries or sometimes the more we worry the worse the symptoms become.

I found that talk therapy has really helps. If you have a therapist call and ask to speak itch a dr or therapist about ur current feelings. Might need to see the dr again if necessary. 

Hope you can get thru this just take it one day at a time. Try to stay busy and take care.

• Posted

You have worked your way into some kind of frozen state of anxiety. It does wear off can last a while. Hoprfully the medication you started will help with it. You can use nutritional shakes to help get through this so at least your body gets nutrition. It will wear off hang in there.
  • Posted

Ask the pharmacist about nutrition drinks . try eating your food at room temperature. Make thicker and thicker drinks. Stir in a donut or oatmeal cookie or just oatmeal
  • Posted

A lady that lives down the street from me had the swallowing anxiety. Her mother did as well. She's on an antidepressant and Xanax. It has helped her a lot along with psychotherapy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.