DESPERATE HELP SWITCH FROM CITALOPRAM TO SERTRALINE FEEL SUICIDAL

Posted , 3 users are following.

51/2 weeks ago my GP switched me straight from 30 Mgs citalopram to 100mgs sertraline. Id lowered my citalopram a month before but was struggling so asked to go back up to 40mgs. He said I could switch straight to sertraline as I'd been on cit for 8 years and try something new. It's been hell. Crippling anxiety and suicidal thoughts. Over the last five weeks he's tried adding diazepam, mirtrazapine( which put me in a very dark place), he lowered the Sert to. 50 Mgs then back up to 100. I don't know whether to try and stick it out a bit longer or go back to Citalopram. If I do is it going to cause another six weeks off hell before that kicks in. I don't know how much longer I can go on. Please help. X

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You should not be having suicidal thoughts and the anxiety should have subsided by now.  If i was you i would switch back to what you are used to and because your body is used to it you shouldnt have too many side effects and they should only last for a few days if you do.  Are you taking anything for the anxiety while you are on the sertaline?  It is a known fact that in the beginning of statring the meds the anxiety can increase.  You need to get a benzodiazepine to assist you for just the beginning. 
    • Posted

Thank you jacqui for replying. I'm new to forums. I did have diazepam for a while then he took me off it and tried adding mirtraxapine. The thoughts got dark and scarlet so I stopped it. I think ill ring GP today and ask to switch back. Thanks again. Feel very lonely and scared. X
    • Posted

You are not alone there are so many people out there feeling exactly like you do.  You will get through it so stay strong keep your chin up and remember to not worry about the feeling you are having as its the medication there is nothing wrong with you.  Speak to you GP xanor is the best medication for anxiety.  They say it can be addictive but for  short term use it really is good.  Have you spoken to a counsellor or psychologist?  xxx

• Posted

I'll ask doctor. I've got a massive stress with a legal matter going on so worrying is non stop. Can't believe I let doctor switch tablets while this is going on. I need to be strong right now and I'm worried that citalopram will take ages or not work as it wasn't brilliant before but I got by on it. I can't figure out what is the medication and what is the stress of the situation. But I'm not right. Anxiety is crippling and suicidal must be drug related surely ?  
    • Posted

Contstant stress does cause anxiety.  The suicidal thoughts are definately the medication.  I know a few people who have had the same side effects.  You should not be on it if its doing that.  At least now you know that the other tablets were the better one its always best to stay on what you know and work on the stressful situations in your life and try and sort them out.  If the medication worked for you before it will still work for you.  Its hard but try and be positive and just accept that you might have some side effects but in the end you are going to feel much better. x
    • Posted

It's just that I've read that some people have felt great after 6 or 7 weeks on Sertraline and I keep trying to hold on a bit longer. I need certainty right now and I can't find it. X
    • Posted

That migt well be but remember what works for some might not work for you.  You shouldnt be having suicidal thoughts after almost 6 weeks and the anxiety should have subsided. You know yourself better than anyone else does so what does your gut feeling tell you?  x
  • Posted

Take it from me, DO NOT TAKE SLEEPING PILLS LIKE DIAZAPAM, it's the oversleeping that gives you crazy thoughts, do you have trouble sleeping?
    • Posted

No trouble sleeping but wake with bad anxiety in morning. I've just spoken to local health food shop owner who recomended RHODIOLA COMPLEX. she said lots of people use it as it's safe with ssris and it has good results with anxiety. Now I'm trying to find info on that. It's so sad that we have to figure this all out ourselves. I've suffered since I was 15 am now 43 and still have no answers. Just have to keep trying. Just wish I'd not swapped in the middle of a stressful time. Glad I came to forum. It feels good to share thoughts. Thank you all. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.