Desperate to get better

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've posted on here a few times about my swallowing anxiety,it's really depressing me now.i was on 20mg citalopram for 4 weeks and started to get a bit better ,I was able to start eating little bites of food and thought things were getting better.a week ago the dr put my dose up to 30mg and I started off ok still eating a bit more every day.on Friday I went away for a break to a caravan and it's all gone down hill again.i couldn't eat a thing and even drinking liquids have become a problem again.the dr prescribed me protein drinks that I was gulping down in one go with no problem,now it's hard for me to even swallow sips as my anxiety is really high again.im desperate to get back to normal and eat a meal,this has gone on now 2 months and I'm so scared the citalopram are never gonna work and I will never get better,I'm so depressed at the moment.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Recovery from anxiety on these meds comes in waves, so you'll often start to feel better and then find youself slipping backwards again.  Its normal.  It'll pass and you'll start to feel better again.

As for your doctor upping your dose.  Personally I recovered on 20mg, but some people need a higher dose and some get better on a lower dose.  Increasing a dose will give you side effects again, but they will ease off as they did before.

Citalopram will work.  You need to give them a lot of time to work - for some it can be 6 months, others 9 months and quite a few feel better by 2-3 months.  How you felt on Friday and being able to eat / drink a little more will return.  The road to recovery on these meds is up and down - you're in the dip at the moment.

Trust in the meds.  Have patience.  Keep persevering.  Accept the lows (there'll be many) as well as the highs.  You will begin to feel better again soon.

K xx

• Posted

Thanks for your advice,I have read on these discussion forums that it takes time for the citalopram to start working properly,I know it's not going to happen over night ,but as its affecting my health I'm feeling so desperate and depressed ,eating is a normal day to day thing that comes natural to everyone ,I'm getting anxious because I'm thinking this is only happening to me as I haven't read or heard of anyone having this problem with their anxiety symptoms ,I've lost a stone and as I'm a slim person anyway ,it's become noticeable to people that know me,that's making me more anxious about going out and people commenting on how much weight I've lost ,I know it's all in my brain and that is controlling my body and thoughts .i just don't understand how the citalopram is gonna change my brain to thinking I can eat normally again.

• Posted

Ah but it will.

Often stress or shock can cause a depletion in serotonin (our happy hormones).  Low levels causes havoc with your body making you feel anxious or depressed, have fears about anything (and I had my fair share of them about myself), affects your sleep, appetite, weight, headaches, aches and pains, lethargy, obsessions, uninterested in things and a whole host of other things.

When you get tired, mixed with all this anxiety going on, normal thinking goes out the window.  Lots of things start to make you feel anxious whether they be actions or unwanted thoughts, which in turn create more anxiety.  Your head becomes tired, unwatned thoughts stick to a tired mind making them bounce around and again causing even more anxiety.  You'll get that negative voice telling you that you won't get better, you aren't like other people, you'll stay ill forver etc etc on and on.

The meds hang onto your serotonin in the space between each nerve in the brain before its reabsorbed, making you feel happier.  In time you'll start to feel calmer, happier, less stressed, less anxious, less depressed ..... and without the anxiety the fear will start to ease off.  Its the anxiety that keeps the fear there.

Believe me, I thought the same too about myself.  I didn't know anyone who had the same fears as me and I couldn't talk about it to anyone either.  I couldn't see how the meds would make me become less fearful about things because the fearful thing always be there to remind me.  What was to stop me being afraid of it?  I'd suffered for 16 years with it.

Well I recovered within 6 months.  And what I was fearful about didn't bother me one bit ..... because all the anxiety had been taken away, and without the anxiety the fear was gone.

Everyone has fears or weird thoughts, but usually people just dismiss them and put them to the back of their minds without another thought.  But, if they're accompanied with anxiety, that's when they stick at the front of your mind, frightening you, causing more anxiety - you get trapped in a cycle of fear, anxiety, depression, thoughts, fear, anxiety, depression, thoughts etc etc.  The meds will help to break that cycle and in time all anxiety, depression etc etc will lift and you will begin to feel better and better - eventually being able to cope and be anxiety free.

I didn't think I'd ever be free of it all.  But I am.  It took 6 months, but it was a short time compared to the time I'd been ill.  My son had a breakdown 2 years ago (at the same age when I had become ill), and he started on meds and was very ill and lost so much weight.  It took 9 months for him to recover and he's now back to his normal happy self again, working again, has a new girlfriend and is out and about doing things laughing all the time.

You will not see evidence the meds are working for quite a while.  They work really slowly, but just keep taking them, hang on in there, it really does get better.  If you feel unsure about your dose increase, then ask your doctor if you can remain on 20mg for longer.  A larger dose doesn't mean recovery will happen any quicker or that its suitable for you ....... its trial and error getting the dose just right.  If you're feeling ok on 20mg then stay on that.

You really need to be patient, and I know how hard it is because you desparately want to be well now.  Remember, a broken leg takes months and months to heal ....... and so this illness is no different.  But you will start seeing a difference and you will begin to feel more comfortable and at ease with eating little bites again.

Remember, you cannot choke, its very rare.  Your body has its own way of dealing with it anyway and thats by making you cough. Cutting food up into miniscule pieces will help.  Make sure its your favourite tempting foods.  Have you tried a straw?

Keep your doctor informed.  Maybe also get checked out that your swallowing problem is just due to anxiety and not anything physical ie muscles not working properly.

The meds will work though.

K x

• Posted

Thanks for that advice,you seem to know exactly what anxiety is all about,and how the brain works.the main cause of my anxiety is I have suffered with emetophobia (fear of sick)for as long as I can remember ,I'm now 37 and since having my son ,who's now 9 ,it's become out of hand and taking over my day to day living.i finally went to the doctors this year to get help.my eating has never been a problem at all ,even all the years I've suffered with emetophobia .i had a trigger tho in June when I was on holiday in Spain,I was eating mash potato and i sort of swallowed it before I was ready and it came back up a bit and I panicked,because of my emetophobia this triggered something in my brain.ever since that day I have not been able to eat ,it got a bit better as at the beginning I was afraid to swallow anything ,I started eating bits but I'm just chewing and chewing and focusing on getting ready to swallow,a thing that comes absolutely natural is now a big issue.

• Posted

I was once in a huge mess with my fears, and I never believed I'd get over it.  But taking these meds changed my life - I couldn't believe it.  You'll find as the meds start working, your anxiety will start to ease, and you'll probably find that your fears will lose their importance too and they'll begin not to bother you as much.  You can't believe it yet because youre in that negative space at the moment.  

I think you might just be surprised how much a difference the meds will make for you.  

Hard to believe I know .....

K x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice,after reading your replies ,I am more confident I will get better,I know it's not gonna happen over night and I have to take one day at a time,but reading your success and how the meds have helped you,I now believe in time they will work and I will get better.thank you

• Posted

It helps to talk doesn't it, and realise you're not alone.  I don't think it matters what your fears are, your body just simply responds exactly the same as the next person.  I had some very weird fears which developed over time ....... and they don't bother me at all now.  I don't like them, but they don't scare me anymore and so they're put back into context instead of leaping out at me.  I hardly think about them.

Keep persevering, accept all the strange side effects for now, and give it lots and lots of time ........ I'm sure you'll see an improvement, and eventually be free of the anxiety and fear.

Keep in touch. wink

K xx

• Posted

Did you say you are on citalopram ,or have you come off them now you are better
    • Posted

I'm still on Citalopram but have been weaning off this last year - was on 20mg and am now down to only 2.5mg.  Will stop eventually.  

K x

• Posted

Hello. Sorry you are going through this. For the last month and half I have been noticing every time I swallow, I can hear it. Also then when I don't notice it I start thinking wait I haven't noticed me swallowing and right back to focusing on it. I am on sertealine for 6 days switched from Prozac (on that 3 weeks). I just don't have a good feeling about these medicines..

• Posted

You got better for a while which shows your swallowing mechanism is okay. Also don't let the weight issue become a problem. You can get very high calorie nutrition drinks

• Posted

I've been prescribed fortijuce by my doctor so hopefully they will help

• Posted

Hi I've been on citalopram for 18 days and I have constant nausea.  It's worse in the morning and everyday I wake up with panic which starts the nausea off.  I havent eaten anything for the 2 and a half weeks and can only manage a protein shake.  I've lost over a stone and I'm just waiting for this nausea to start subsiding.  Surely this side effect should start easing up soon?

I hope you feel better soon xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.