Details of my appointment yesterday

Posted , 5 users are following.

So yesterday I went back to dr. I'm 6mos post Tkr. Read nybearlier discussion. So the dr took 25cc of fluid out of my knee. Was red in color. He's gonna test it for Chrystals or calcification. I did get relief. I have to take it ez force couple of days so I'm resting elevating. It definitely feels better. Today. Sore and a bit stiff but no "episodes" of swelling so fingers crossed. The hope is the swelling diminishes. I'll write back and keep u posted once I get results from lab. Hanging in there!!!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Please let us know what the doctor finds. I will be 6 months TKR on April 19th and I know I have fluid on the knee! Did he also take new x-rays? I have just asked my Ortho to renew my Celebrex for inflamation....have not heard back yet.
    • Posted

I had xrays taken on 3/17 so they were fairly new.  wow we are neck and neck - mine was swelling at will - 2,3x a day.  It would swell in the morning, then re-swell throughout the day.  The initial swelling didn't go down it would just swell more.  So i was having many "episodes: a day.  Luckily i made it swell while i was at the appointment.  I walked around (cuz i've been on the walker for 5 weeks) then he was sort of doing tests on it.  Straightening and flexing which made it swell.  So it helped that it was happening while i was there.  If i were you, i'd head to the dr to have it drained if you are experiencing the same.  Sometimes the swelling was so bad i couldn't straighten the leg at all and i was dipping into my 6 month old pain pills!   Don't wait if you are in the same boat. 

• Posted

Good luck with this, and I hope the results are good!  It's really bad luck to be still suffering swelling etc. six months on from the op rolleyes

• Posted

yes it's certainly been a struggle.  Hopefully there isn't any issue with the fluid -def acute trauma of some sort with the red color

• Posted

Good luck, sweetie. It's no fun having fluid removed.

• Posted

Wasn't too bad really. Not as bad as I thought. They did novacain then drained it then Lidacain. Three needles. Fun fun!! Was achy. Today felt better till around four pm. Got a little stiff. So I iced and elevated. Living in Advil. Hoping results are ok. Trying onhang in there.

• Posted

Glad it wasn't as bad as it sounded it would be Jeanie.  At least there was an improvement to 4 pm - hopefully that will get better every day now.

• Posted

Well, unfortunately last nite 7:47Pm - bad swelling episode sad  I wasn't happy - so discouraging.  Will wait for what the dr says when he calls.  He did say it would slow down not just go away after the drain, but i'm just discouraged.  Has anyone experienced this?  Please send your prayers out there - thx

• Posted

Jeanie, so sorry to hear this!  I can well imagine that you feel very vulnerable with it at the moment.  I hope there's someone on here who has had experience and can offer help or support.  But hopefully the Dr can reassure you.  I imagine this is like being stuck in a nightmare.  Thinking of you!

• Posted

Hi Chris - yes- I've been feeling vulnerable for quite sometime.  Not sure if you saw my prev post regarding 6 mos post TKR - back in November thru end of January i was having episodes of the knee for 10 weeks - during that time it was 2-3x a week.  I had like a weird feeling across the top that triggered it.  At least then i had a day or 2 off.  Wasn't the same as this - then i had 6 weeks with no episodes, then on 3/6/17 this started where it just swells at will - no trigger.  Been 5.5 weeks of it.  After it happened that first week - i got a second opinion to no avail - tellng me to just wait it out - didn't want to do a bonescan till the 1 year mark - basically said go back to your dr.  Which i did -and that's when i got it drained.  The hard part is i get so hopeful.  Ya know?  Only to be dissappointed again.  During that first round back from Nov-Jan it really hit me hard emotionally.  I had to see a therapist, I'm on an anti-depressant and I wasn't sleeping at all then - so im on meds for that too. I was just a mess - lost 30 lbs.  This time i'm not in the black hole yet, but I'm just looking for some light here - a reason why this is happening - so hopefully these tests show something, anything.  Thanks for your kind words

• Posted

Jeanie, I didn't see your previous post but it sounds awful.  I know exactly what you mean - you get hopeful to start with but each time those hopes are battered, it's harder to get hopeful again.  Yes, I SO hope that they'll get to the bottom of this now!  Do take care of yourself!

• Posted

Ok so after the drainage of the knee last weds 4/5 - i did have 2 swelling episodes Thursday, but Friday, Saturday and Sunday no episodes.  Dr did want me to wean off the walker so Sunday i did use my cane -(maybe a little too much) becuase on Monday i did have a swelling episode which was all day soreness (I've had worse, but this was all day).  Yesterday i didn't have any episodes, but still sore.  Dr's office called yesterday to say the fluid came back normal.  They are still testing for cultures for the next two weeks though.  I am still taking it ez, haven't given up the walker yet, but hopefully the episodes will continue to diminish - i have a follow up scheduled with dr on 5/3 - my hope is this will be gone by then - keep prayers going please!

• Posted

Good to hear things are progressing well generally Jeanie, with the fluid results normal and I hope the cultures do too.    I hope if you can start using the cane for short periods and gradually increase them you'll get there without too much pain!  Keep us updated:-)))))

• Posted

Ok so i'm back off to the dr today for the follow up.  All fluids came back normal - since my last Appointment on 4/5 i've had many episodes - some awful - like today which may be good cuz i'm going to see him.  I've had a day or 2 or 3 sometimes with no episodes but now when i have them they are really bad.  Pain pill bad sad.  On Sunday it blew up 4 times!  The most yet!  Today it's pretty bad right now - i just took 4 advil - wish me luck today - something has got to give here.  I'm getting very discouraged!

• Posted

I hope things improvve Jeanie.  I'm so so sorry you're having this awful problem!  Do they understand what's causing the pain?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.