developed aches and pains since tkr

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 8 weeks post op and am now finding my hip is aching (never a problem before) also the other knee. Back is also playing up!! Hope these are temporary !! Has anyone else had this problem. The hip that is hurting when I lie on it is the same side as tkr.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patricia

i thought you had written about me I have exactly the same thing ...I've been told by consultant to stop using crutches and to use a stick..(.I've just been using one)

he said the crutch makes you lean to one side causing the things you've just commented about

things will settle down eventually

just don't try to do too much as I have done this past week and  have now got my pain back again with a vengeance.

i never learn 

jeN 

• Posted

Hi Patricia

Yes I have aches and pains in my back, other knee and even my feet!

The aches and pains however are lessening the more I am able to walk normally with my bionic knee; I guess it's referred pain.

• Posted

Hi Patricia. My consultant told me to get rid of the single crutch as it causes too many other problems as I was leaning on it.  My 2nd knee is getting painful as are both my feet, maybe it was the crutch!!  It seems that there is no end to this pain.  Although I am 12 wks post op, the knee is still quite painful and very tight - the vice like feeling😪. When I sit down, it feels like the new joint is pushing up at the top of my knee. It is pretty painful but I guess I just have to put up with it. Use a stick if you can until you are confident to walk with out one - I'm sure it will help to ease these pains.  Good luck with your recuperation xx

• Posted

once you get used to walking again things should reallign themselves and the pains should disappear.

Richard

• Posted

Well, when old parts are removed and new parts replaced with this trauma so much can change in our bodies....sure did for the hip replacement I went thru.  I'm in way worse pain  thruout body with these new poly and metal parts.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Posted

Hi Patricia......I kept a daily diary up until the time that I was off all meds associated with my tkr. For four days I noted that I had excruciating pain in my back, even worse than my knee. I have also had aches and pains in other parts of my body, hips, feet, calves and thighs, sometimes I wonder if this pain will ever go away.

I am at 17 weeks post op and things are getting better, my confusion has cleared and the only pain I get now is in the new knee and my other knee which is almost due for replacement.

So, it looks like one darn pain after another with this operation. I so wish I had have had this forum back then, it certainly would have eased my mind.

Hang in there Patricia, it does improve with time. I think bucket loads of patience is necessary.

• Posted

Hi after reading your post I realise I have a long way to go yet I'm 9 weeks post TKR today and suffering aches and pains all over today.

i've had a really good few days up until now then last night was so painful.

I guess I need to be a little more patient with myself.

take care and all the best 

this Forum is so informative and makes me realise I'm not alone 

Jean 

• Posted

If weather has turned colder where you are that could be a factor too.  I take omega 3's which are anti inflammatory oils as is coconut oil... I'm feeling stiffer lately and it's a heat wave again here in CA....but maybe it's just the progression of these old joints....progression of OA.   One MD I hear on radio, says once we "cut" our bodies, OA sets in, more in a lot of cases.....   It's a vicious cycle to keep going...for me anyway.   J 
    • Posted

Yes it is cold and wet here at the moment so I guess it doesn't help

and as for old age ...I've had these old bones for 76 years ...I think I should have kept them intact...lol

• Posted

A person on another group I'm a member of, it's a OA, RA group and they know about my hip mess, she asked me today:  would I do it again, hip replacement that is.....I really don't know, but I've asked myself that a LOT, where would I be today with all the groin pain that is now gone....BUT, the new pains, good grief...

I muscle test and pendulum dowse and a while back reduced my ibuprofen pain med from 6 to 4 per day and so I just did some testing and it says I need to be back to 6 spread thru the day.....so I think I'll go back to that dose and make make sure I take the DGL which is my stomach protector.    Perhaps it's good to up dose for a while to knock down the inflammation and then go back to a lower dose for a while again...a real balancing act to try to knock out the pain and STIFFNESS...  76 here too... 

• Posted

A person on another group I'm a member of, it's a OA, RA group and they know about my hip mess, she asked me today:  would I do it again, hip replacement that is.....I really don't know, but I've asked myself that a LOT, where would I be today with all the groin pain that is now gone....BUT, the new pains, good grief...

I muscle test and pendulum dowse and a while back reduced my ibuprofen pain med from 6 to 4 per day and so I just did some testing and it says I need to be back to 6 spread thru the day.....so I think I'll go back to that dose and make make sure I take the DGL which is my stomach protector.    Perhaps it's good to up dose for a while to knock down the inflammation and then go back to a lower dose for a while again...a real balancing act to try to knock out the pain and STIFFNESS...  76 here too... 

• Posted

Like you I cut my painkillers down but as today has been a bad day I'm taking them every 4 hours as prescribed

hopefully  tomorrow will be a better day.

i had this TKR  because I could hardly walk and if the Op helps me get my mobility back I'll be more than happy

would I have the other knee done ...that's debatable.

• Posted

I just broke down and called  an old acquaintance from maybe 10 yrs ago as I heard she had knee replacement(s)....she had both done and then had hernia surgery, so she said she had 3 surgeries in one year.... but she sounds like her knees are doing pretty good for her.....she climbs up and down 29 steps daily so could be the step climibing could help......I have no steps  here....to speak of...I could make an effort to go outside and climb some steps, but I don't....

Besides the knee worsening from hip replacement, I am left with almost the whole front of my right thigh NUMB from nerve damage....so I don't know whether I'm coming or going sometimes....and it's 4 yrs so I don't hold hope for the nerves to come back....

I just ordered some black current seed oil to take internally and to rub on my knee and numb thigh....read reviews from others and they get anti inflammatory relief....we shall see.... I try to much.....J

• Posted

Hello again

the outside of my knee is totally numb but I'm hoping I get the feeling back eventually.

I too have steps to reach my door and the toilet is upstairs in my house so I have to do stairs whether I like it or not 

all I want is to get about pain free ..it's 11 50 pm and I've just taken the last lot of painkillers for today so fingers crossed I will get some sleep tonight 

at least more than a couple of hours.

take care Joy

I'm now off to bed.

h

• Posted

Well, I sure do hope you get mobility....I'm fairly mobile but not really great....this person I talked to it takes a good year, she said she flew to chicago recently with a friend....my flying days are behind me...the thought of going to an airport freaks me out.....she probably goes in a wheelchair I'd suspect.....other older friends I have who still do some flying do the wheelchair ride.....
    • Posted

9 weeks post op, yes a longer way to go.    With the hip replacement I was doing pretty darn good into 5th month and then it all went downhill for me, didn't realize how the shorter leg was doing so much damage...didn't know I had the shorter leg syndrome. many do I've read on the hip group here....3/4" lift in shoe helps but should have had it a couple yrs ago......so much healing going on, one doesn't know what is normal and what isn't.....J  , 
    • Posted

Hi Joy.....I am numb from my outer groin (if that's what it's called) down to my knee. When I saw the surgeon for the 12 week check (not the one who operated) he said it was nerve damage and wouldn't get better. I'm still hoping he's wrong.
    • Posted

Gee wizz.....my numbness is in front of thigh, down from hip incision and affects top part of the knee area.....such a mess.   Time is all we have to see how this all unfolds...for me it's 4 yrs already.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.