Diagnosed as type 2 in 2011 and put on Metformin, now told by new GP I'm not diabetic

Posted , 8 users are following.

In 2011 I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic and immediately put on Metformin. Got sent on a Desmond day and took my wife along with me to that. Gradually lost 2 and a half stone in weight and generally took care of my eating. More or less stopped drinking alcohol as well. Had my annual diabetes checks and was told I was controlling it very well.

Moved house last December and registered with a new GP. As part of the registration process I gave my medical history and was given a date for a blood test to see what my HbA1c was like in readiness to see the diabetic nurse for a review. Had the blood test and made appointment to see diabetic nurse. When I saw the diabetic nurse she told me I was not a diabetic as my blood results were that of a normal non-diabetic person. She was unable to comment further because my medical notes from my last GP had not been forwarded to the new practice. I was told to get another blood test in 4 months time, but in the mean time to half my Metformin dose. This I did and went for the results last Friday. GP told me I’m not diabetic and to stop taking Metformin altogether.

Now I’m confused. Was I misdiagnosed in 2011? My original GP who made the diagnosis told me it’s a condition for life and I must learn to live with it.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

0 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi Lone Wolf

i was diagnosed by a diabetic nurse as type 2 and my doctor said i wasnt. so now im stuck with a half way result too. i was never told to take pills just eat well. ive not lost a lot of weight as cant seem to shift it no matter what i do. i think that i was miss diagnosed but the thing is i asked about it and they said that i cant be classified as not type 2 as they will just say that im controling it well. personally i wander how much of it is true as these days everyone is type 2 and doctors get paid a lot of money for type 2 patients Hmmmmmm

• Posted

Wow, I guess it's good news but adds to the confusion that is type 2 .

i was diagnosed as pre diabetic as one of my 2 blood tests showed I was in the range so I'm now on the diabetic register even though I don't have it !

i was told I don't need to go on any meds and just to.d to lose weight ( I'm not even overweight) and to have another blood test in a year. Since then I've been sent for to have a retina scan ( which was normal) I've had my feet checked out, again no problems. Like you, I've been told I will be on the register for life and feel stigmatised 

I can't answer your question but I completly understand where your coming from 

• Posted

great aint it. now we cant have normal travel insurance and have to decalre to employers etc. im really very peed off about it
  • Posted

Losing weight is known to reverse Type 2, though more research is needed. Could have happened in your case so well done. Not a misdiagnosisI would say but one that has changed with the weight loss
    • Posted

my doc said i wanst and the dozy nurse said i was. im not happy about it at all
    • Posted

Any idea what your BG(blood glucose) or BS (blood sugar) was?
    • Posted

yeah is was 6.8 but i think and i know this sounds silly but for the 6 months up to the test i was shovelling sweets down my neck as gave up fags. and this was only over that period as i dont usualy. i think that i had a high reading due to that
    • Posted

yeah is was 6.8 but i think and i know this sounds silly but for the 6 months up to the test i was shovelling sweets down my neck as gave up fags. and this was only over that period as i dont usualy. i think that i had a high reading due to that
    • Posted

No I did not think to ask as I was a bit shocked. Have to go back to GP soon for another matter so I'll find out then.
    • Posted

you can call the reception and ask for test results. im past caring. i lost 12 months of my life sh*tting myself over it. now i just think F it. what will ne will be
    • Posted

The Nice guidelines are:-

Type 2 are - pre-prandial(before meals is between 4 and 7, post-prandial (after meals) it should be under 8.5.

Normal is 4 to 5.9 pre-prandial and under 7.8 post-prandial

With a reading like yours could easily be interpreted as a yes and equally easily as a no. Many Drs will take it as 7 or over means is but if the nurse used these NICE guidelines can see why they said yes and the Dr no

• Posted

when i finger test im always in the range of a non diabetic
    • Posted

In that case take a note of these readings and give them to the Dr. Ask for a fasting blood test and if says not diabetic get it put on your notes.

So far as travel insurance goes try the Post Office. If things are under control they usually ignore them. Amongst other things I am Epileptic and Asthmatic, most insurers load my premiums as a result, they don't.

• Posted

I think I have heard that type 2 diabetes can be managed by good food planning. Some one also has also now learnt that they are not diabetic type 2 that I have read of.
    • Posted

It can be and that is why all newly diagnose Type 2's should be offered an appointment with a dietician
    • Posted

i was never offered it. and i asked and was refused. so im just going to ignore them and just get on with life
    • Posted

Do so.

Got some good ideas on diet on the diabetic .co .uk website and downloadable cookbook

Good smartphone apps available too if got one

• Posted

Fasting ? When I had my blood test I wasn't told to fast it's a shambles 
    • Posted

Generally would be as otherwise can skew result. Best mention to Dr as he may have taken that into account but not nurse. Usually says on form given to take with you and not always said, though I feel it should be.

After meal tests are generally 2hrs

• Posted

its a money spinner i think for docs. i mean why is there suddenly millions of people been diagnosed. is it becuase the doc gets 2 grand hmmm i wander
    • Posted

I on,y went in for some ointment , came out pre diabetic ffs

now I've literally just had a letter inviting me for a flu jab as I'm 'vulnerable'

i really give up

• Posted

my repl has been moderated lol. but the long and short of it is. i stopped going to my doc as eveytime i go they tell me im ill of something else lol. i feel so much better now i dont fo to my doc no more
    • Posted

I would strongly advise people not to do this.

If you feel their concern is money and not you then change them - you have that right

• Posted

Meant to add but use it as a wake up call to get your weight under control, eat healthily, drink sensibly etc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.