Diagnosed as type 2 in 2011 and put on Metformin, now told by new GP I'm not diabetic

Posted , 8 users are following.

In 2011 I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic and immediately put on Metformin. Got sent on a Desmond day and took my wife along with me to that. Gradually lost 2 and a half stone in weight and generally took care of my eating. More or less stopped drinking alcohol as well. Had my annual diabetes checks and was told I was controlling it very well.

Moved house last December and registered with a new GP. As part of the registration process I gave my medical history and was given a date for a blood test to see what my HbA1c was like in readiness to see the diabetic nurse for a review. Had the blood test and made appointment to see diabetic nurse. When I saw the diabetic nurse she told me I was not a diabetic as my blood results were that of a normal non-diabetic person. She was unable to comment further because my medical notes from my last GP had not been forwarded to the new practice. I was told to get another blood test in 4 months time, but in the mean time to half my Metformin dose. This I did and went for the results last Friday. GP told me I’m not diabetic and to stop taking Metformin altogether.

Now I’m confused. Was I misdiagnosed in 2011? My original GP who made the diagnosis told me it’s a condition for life and I must learn to live with it.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

0 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I can barely believe that they've done it again! Censorship!!! I really object to this, there is absolutely nothing defamatory written .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.