diagnosed graves disease last week......have probs with cough

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

started on carbimazole 20mg then this was increased a few days ago to 30mg by gp as symptoms still big prob  ie high pulse sweating diarrhoea etc   but allso awful cough   keeps me awake at night too  cough all day and night   mild asthma but inhalers dont seem to help much  gp prescribe sleeping tabs but these not helping either   feel so exhausteed and low due to lack of sleep     please can anyone help

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You may have bronchitis or pneumonia. I had walking pneumonia and the only symptom was a chronic cough. Was confirmed on Xray. You will also benefit from adding L-Carnitine and Acetyl-L-Carnitine to your treatment. You obtain these from the health food store and your doctor won't know about this or endorse it but there has been research that confirms it is very beneficial to hyperthyroid patients. I would start at 1,000 mg of each. Carnitine is an amino acid that is naturally found in the body but gets deptleted from the muscles of patients with hyperthyroidism.
  • Posted

thank you so much emmaj43 and linda187 for replying.

my gp hasnt put me on betablockers as i have mild asthma  he said it could make it worrse  usually my asthma isnt a problem, very mild and only use inhalers when have bad cold.  

gp has checked over my chest and its clear so dont think it could be pneumonia or bronchitis

just really getting me down....cant sleep and the sleeping tabs dont help  

thought i read somewhere that even mild asthma can be made worse by over active thyroid and will settle down again when its been treated and levels seettle down......have you heard or read about this ?

are there any otc cough meds i can buy    benylin do one for night time, would i be ok to risk this just to get a good sleep ?

what are the supplements lynda ?  can i get them from holland and barrett ?

selenium ?

• Posted

You will start to feel better soon with the Carbimazole - took me about 2-3 weeks of extreme issues and no sleep for it then to settle down a bit.  By week 6 I was starting to feel symptoms were more manageable.  It is frightening but does get better. 
    • Posted

I have heard selenium is good for Graves patients but what helped me the most was Acetyl-L-carnitine at a dose of 1,000 mg and also regular L-Carnitine which I tried first. I have heard you can order them thru Barrett and Holland. There was a research study done in Italy about this and that is where I learned about it. However, your doc won't know about it or endorse it. You can take this along with any medication prescribed and it will help to lower your dose of meds faster. Carnitine is an amino acid normally found in the body but is depleted in patients with hyperthyroidism. Also take vitamin D, 1,000 mg and avoid any food or beverages containing Aspartame.
    • Posted

I learned the same info and take the same supplements. I hope it helps u as it has not changed my blood work to replace any thing with supplements.

i suppose it has not hurt either. I find taking blood levels and meds is the best way to stay ahead of this disease. It takes a bit of practice and CONSISTANCY. A journal helps me compare treatments & keep track of what helps me thru treatments and exercise.

CHEERS

HOPE confused

• Posted

thanks for your support Emma  . Did you have a cough too ?
    • Posted

Lol I'm getting the hives again as I was off the meds for a while - I even thought I had chicken pix for a time !! 
    • Posted

Hi..

itching is a major issue with this disease. Have u tried Benadryl or other anti histimines? Helped me a lot. The itching can drive anyone nuts.

Cheers

HOPE confused

• Posted

I had to have water by my bed every night until I discovered I was hyperthyroid.after a few weeks on carbimazole the cough disappeared! Give it some time. In the meantime try Telfast allergy tablets as that seems to work.

Good luck and at least you have a diagnosis now. 

• Posted

thanks emmaj43  sounds like you have really suffered...hope youre feeling bit better now.

njayne...thanks for your words   I have iced water and my inhaler by my bed...thats all i can do....but i just cant sleep  the inhaler seems to have no effect....just damn cough cough cough   the water works for a while and im sleeping upright with loads of pillows......still cough cough cough    Been on the meds for 12 days ,20mg for 8 days and since day 9 have been on 30mg carbimazole   

I cough during the day too plus night.....if i do get sleep then the cough disturbs me and wakes me up.....even when i use the sleeping tab...only used those for 2 nights....dont think i will take any more

just want to feel better, can put up with the palpitations, sweats , funny eyes and weight loss etc....if only this cough would go

tempted to buy benilyn night cough med just to help....even though think youre not meant to have that if you have that if you are overactive thyroid

• Posted

Some nights I actually took actifed to knock myself out and get a good sleep- but really try telfast- it's the only antihistamine I have found that works.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up