Diagnosed Vestibular Migraines but hearing loss and tinnitus now

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Vestibular Migraines 10 years ago. I've been on daily medication and even went into remission. Yesterday I had the worst episode of vertigo I have had in 5 years. For the past two weeks I've been having auras and really had tinnitus. For the past 2 months I've been wondering if I'm losing hearing. I know someone with MD and our symptoms have always been so close except my tinnitus never lasted more than a few minutes right around the actual vertigo. I'm worried about this change. Has anyone experienced this before, MAV into MD?

I think I might need to go back to my ENT but my original diagnosis was so... emotionally arduous. Repeating it seems so awful.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

There is no substitute for a proper medical assesment and diagnosis. I would not delay. If you are in the early stages of Meniere's getting the appropriate treatment could prevent things getting worse.

Tinnitus and hearing loss can be significantly improved by taking betahistine in sufficiently high dose and taken for long enough bring about remission of the other symptoms.

Good luck.

• Posted

Yes I agree taking betahistine controlled my symptoms well and I read about one medical trial which suggested that it also helps minimise hearing loss. After almost a year I have weaned myself off the medication as I seem to be symptom free. It remains to be seen whether I am in remission or entering stage 2. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.