Diagnosis with Depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

For the last few months I haven’t been feeling myself,  and struggling at work and normal day to day things.  I thought it was my thyroid or started Menopause early.  Went to the doctors and was diagnosed with having depression.  My initial reaction is but I don’t feel depressed but apparently that can be normal.   I have been signed off work for 3 weeks and now a further 2 weeks.  I’m now on tablets Fluoxetine starting my 4th week with them.  Im really struggling accepting I’m suffering with depression and very nervous about leaving the house.  Anybody else taking Fluoxetine and do you feel like you are getting back to your old self with taking them? 

Thank you 

Sharon 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon. It is always worth getting your thyroid and menopausal symptoms checked out. I have struggled with depression since a teenager (I’m 52)and it worsened as I got older and it was never requested of me to get these things checked until I was referred to the mental health team. They tested my bloods and found me to be in the menopause which I am reading can massively impact on depression. 

Some of the symptoms are similar, so my advice is to read as much as you can. I also learnt that certain foods were making me unwell so I am having to change my diet. I have been on Fluoxetine for many years, it was a low dose and held me for many years (over 20). It stopped working on me as my depression deepened through uncontrollable situations in my life. (New job, new home, daughter left Home, family dog passed, it all had an impact) I did get back to myself shortly after taking fluoxetine, as I said, it worked for years. It doesn’t work for everyone, antidepressants are a trial and error thing. They can take up to 6 weeks but if you are still not feeling your mood has lifted, then you need to go back to your Gp. 

I also wrote down what things were happening in my life to make me feel low. Has there been something that has triggered you to start struggling at work? Has it come out of the blue? Or was it a slow gradual decline of mood and enjoyment of your usual activities? Have you ever been depressed before? 

Use this time to assess yourself holistically, don’t just accept you have depression now, it may be thyroid or menopause. Get these ruled out. 

Im here if you need a chat. What ever it is, you will find yourself again. 

Julia 

• Posted

Thank you Julia 

im under the doctor and I have been visiting weekly monitoring my well being.  I have had 3 lots of blood tests taken and my thyroid is borderline ok, but the doctor told me that I will have to have bloods taken every 6 months to keep a close eye on it.   Have I suffered depression before,  well I have been very low,  losing mum in 2000 and then Dad in 2008... moving from the north to south I took a while to settle.   I have a wonderful husband who will do anything for me and got a great family life so I have nothing to feel low about.   Within my work environment I have always worked up to high pressure jobs but have coped well..  but noticed in the last few month of starting my new job I wasn’t able to withhold information and became an emotional wreck.  

Last week I changed taking my tablets from 5pm to morning and I feel they are working better,  but I don’t feel that I’m still sleeping properly and feeling tired and low.  

Im very anxious of returning back to work in 2 weeks,  although I know I have to and it will be fine.. nervous regarding that is where it all started and I had an emotional breakdown on making loads of mistakes..  but I have to go back to get paid... I know that’s not the most important thing my health is.. but unfortunately bills have to be paid.  

Im intrigued on your comment regarding changing foods because they was causing problems..  

Struggling to talk about how I feel with people, my husband said why I don’t you take your sick note into work and explain, and I can’t go into work and talk to people I just don’t want to see people

regards Sharon 

• Posted

Hi Sharon, my diet had to change. I’ve loved my bread and pasta and sweets too much at times and ended up feeling bloated, overweight, tired all the time(exhaustion like I’ve never known) and stressed. I was struggling with work, and thought it was just Life. Went to a well informed Gp who told me to change some foods, take out bread, cakes, biscuits etc, bring in more green veg, eggs,  Little avocado, salad, olive oil, fish, (similar to Mediterranean food) and completely take out sugar and processsed food. More common sense I guess. I did this over time, and it was not easy for me. I love all my sugary food. But what a difference to my life. I had more energy and gradually the weight came off. I do,still have little bread, pasta etc but very limited as when I do eat it, I end up with a crushing migraine, so have to be very careful when 8 becomes unwell as all I want to eat is the carbs and sugar. 

It works for me.

Be careful some antidepressants can make you feel a little anxious. I’m currently withdrawing from Venlafaxine, on day 6 now without, and I’ve noticed my high anxiety levels have dropped considerably...can only be a bonus for me!

what I can advise: don’t push to go back to work, listen to your body. And get some good fish oils or multivits as a boost. 

• Posted

Hello Sharon. If you were thinking something physical was going on I can see that you would be suprised that you have depression. I was extremely depressed and went to my doctor and got on Prozac and one day my smile came back. Everyone is different but it sure helped me for a long time. Hope you start feeling better soon and that you keep in contact with us as we care. Diane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.