Diagnostic laparoscopy to inpsect Gallbladder?

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Usual story: Chronic symptoms that suggest Gallbladder dysfunction. All tests are negative. Had symptoms for years. Getting worse. Incredible pain. Doctors/surgeons/gastro's who worship tests say nothing wrong with Gallbladder; objective doctors think its probably my gallbladder based on symptoms. Was wondering if I can get a diagnostic laparoscopy to inspect my gallbladder? I really have no other options. Ive had all the tests done multiple times, seen multiple surgeons, and no one can help me. Explored every other GI possiblity - ulcer, ibs, crohns etc. Was thinking of going overseas to get it removed - perhaps thailand.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Did you have a Hidascan test?
    • Posted

Hi John

Normally that's the one that shows it if nothing else .

I have IBS & the symptoms are very similar to GB symptoms I was put on cholesterol gel tablets and that had stopped it not saying that's what it is but might be worth asking your GP

• Posted

Hi John, I've never heard of them doing a diagnostic laparoscopy for the gallbladder, I know they do for the lower abdo. You can have all normal tests and it still be your gallbladder. I know someone on this site had the same and when they removed his gallbladder they found it had impacted on the liver hence causing the pain. Have they referred you to a pain clinic as this may help with the pain. I've just been diagnosed with Anterior cutaneous nerve entrapment syndrome ( which is overlooked alot from my research) which gives similar pain to the gallbladder, I had mine out 2 months ago and I'm still in alot of pain which is getting worse but my new doctor believes the pain clinic will help as they give injections to help the pain. They also think that my stomach isn't emptying quickly enough which can also  cause the same pain so I've got to have a test for that too. 

Take care and let me know how you get on. 

• Posted

Hi Katherine. Sorry to hear you still have pain. Did it improve after removal or stay the same? Why did they remove it? Ive been offered pain medication. My pain definately relates to my digestion. Its not muscular or nerves. I have chronic pain in my right upper quadrant and right back. I constantly feel nauseous and my stool is clay coloured and comes out like "soft serve" ice cream. Its just mush. I had a CDSA stool test which revealed I was not digesting fats properly and needed more bile. I also dont have bloating or diarrhea which would suggest my symptoms relate to IBS.  Bascially all my symptoms suggest its my gallbladder but my tests dont.

• Posted

Hi John, They removed my gallbladder as it wasn't working properly , it was only at 14% at a hida scan. The consultants did say that surgery wouldn't  take all my pain away as they thought I may have sphincter of oddi dysfunction.  I didn't think that it would be nerve related until a private consultation. I've also got to have a stomach emptying test as not all my symptoms are from the nerves and they think my stomach isn't working correctly so they've going to check that out too. Yours does sound very typical of gallbladder with the clay coloured stools and the pain in the back and shoulders. I still have that pain especially after food.

I know from everything on here that people do have normal testing and still have problems with the gallbladder and its not until they take the gallbladder out that they find out the problems.

Are you going back to your doctor, let me know how you get on. 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up