Dianne 07195

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had a TKR 11 weeks ago ,and I hate showering,has anyone managed to have. bath,and if so ,do you have any tips in getting in and out. I would so love too be able to have a lovely soak in the bath.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dianne, Its 6 mths since my TKR and still not got enough bend to get in the bath properly. However I bought a bath seat from Amazon originally that goes across the bath and now I have a bath seat that goes in the bath and a rail on the wall to help me get out. Also have an anti slip mat.I also hate showers and would love a good soak but my seat is the best its going to be. Its quite low so I can get as far down as pos. Hope this is helpful x
  • Posted

Have been able to get in and out of the bath for the last 4 weeks, am 10 weeks post op, mind you I do have very strong triceps. Our bath has a bit of a seat at the end of it so I sit on that then put my right elbow on the side and sort of slide in, then getting out I end my left knee then my right till as far as it will go, put my hands on the bit of a seat and push up with my left leg and triceps till I manage to sit on the end.
  • Posted

Have a shower but not a bath yet because you could get an infection If it gets wet - at least with a shower you can keep your leg away from the water
  • Posted

I tried to have a bath at about 3 weeks, not a success! I got in easily but couldn't get out! Had to sit there until I managed to get my husbands attention (he was outside). So I haven't tried again, as an experience it was up there with the humiliation of getting my dress caught in my knickers!

Strangely the family think it hilarious.

Happy new year

XX

• Posted

Hi Marilyn and Dianne

I too tried to have a bath at 4 weeks after my partial knee replacement. Managed to get in but no chance of getting out. My husband had to help, I got upset and couldn't get out for ages. But ladies I have to tell you that yesterday after 9 whole months of not being able to have a nice spa bath I got in, had the relaxing bath, then got out all by myself !! I felt absolutely relieved I couldn't see this day coming. Don't lose hope, it will happen for you both. Just wanted to let you know, as I look at these comments all the time and you girls and guys give me hope, I just wanted to return the favour. Happy and positive new year to you all xxx

• Posted

Hi Isabell,

I am so looking forward to relaxing in a nice hot bath. I have Epsom salts ready!

Glad to know, when I read what other people have written that I am not alone.

Must admit I felt like such a failure when I couldn't even get out of the bath!

Happy new year Isabell.

Marilyn

CX

• Posted

Hi Dianne, I am at nearly six weeks.  I could not wait to be able to have a bath as it's beneficial from all sorts of points of view.  I bought some Epsom salts to put in the bath as it's very beneficial to healing and de toxing.  I ran the bath, undressed, put my good leg in, swung the other leg in and found myself standing up with no clue how  would sit down!! Sheer determination got me in.  I sat on the edge at one end and sort of slid down (good job my arms have got strong!) had a lovely soak and then let out most of the water before lifting myself up and back onto the side.  Please be careful and make sure someone is around in case you need help.  When you've done it once it gets easier.  Good luck, happy bathing. 

• Posted

I could barely get in BEFORE my TKR, so I suspect it will never be an option now! Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi I had a bath every day from the time I came out of hospital. ( 3 times a day)

I have a handle each side of my bath. I sat on the edge and slid my bum back into the bath. Getting out good leg on edge of bath then lift myself up to the edge of the bath. My toilet was next to the bath, so I would then move myself on to it to dry myself.

Good healing

• Posted

Hey there I'm almost 9 weeks TKR and although I struggle to get into the bath I do enjoy having a soak now that I can get my scar wet ... I step in with my good leg and sort of edge my leg over to lift my sore leg over the side of the bath, then I turn round kneel on my good leg and sort of spin myself round into my bottom ... all this with no water in the bath! Then in reverse let the water out spin round somehow onto my good knee and with a dry towel on the side of the bath I pull myself up as best as I can! The soak in the bath is worth all the hassle of getting in and out I promise you ... I don't attempt the bath unless my husband is in the house though. 

• Posted

Hi dianne07195, I had mine done on 11th October and, like you, I miss my soak in the bath.  I can get in but can't get out!  I don't have enough strength in my shoulders to lift myself out.  I am showering in the bath which is OK but I really don't like showers.  We have a small shower in  an en suite in our bedroom but it is a cubicle and I can't bend down or turn easily.  I will try the bath again in the future because it's one of my big misses.  Let me know how you go on with this in the future.  We will get there! xx

• Posted

Thanks Annette,I can get in and out but getting down is the problem,and of course I then panic,but like you I will keep trying,Keep in touch and we both may get there at the same timex
  • Posted

Dianne,  I practiced getting in and out of the tub fully dressed.  Once I was comfortable I could get out then I took my first soak.

pam

• Posted

Thanks Pam,I could get in and out the bath ok,with my husband standing by,but I couldn't lower myself down,although I have 90 deg bend I dont think it is enough.I of course started to panic,and got out,I am now trying to syke myself up to try again,and wikll keep trying untill I succeed.Happy new year to you

• Posted

Good luck Dianne, as someone else with just over 90 degree bend I also would dearly love to have a bath! Having been stuck once am a little reluctant!

All the best

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.