Diarrhea after starting probiotics

Posted , 4 users are following.

So just to clarify I was NOT having any diarrhea before this. I started taking some Olli brand bacillus coagulans probiots and started having pretty bad diarrhea so I stopped and waited for a day, still had soft BM’s but not diarrhea, so improved a little. Switched to drinking kefir and the diarrhea came back again. Any one know what’s going on? I thought probiotics stopped diarrhea.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Probiotics can cause bowel habit change. I would stop probiotics altogether since they obviously don’t suit you.   Everyone is different.
  • Posted

Hi wes44chin,

How much kefir did you drink? Is it home-made or from the store? Also, is it milk kefir or water kefir?

I had diarrhea when I drank home-made milk kefir and some really painful stomach cramps as I was an idot and didn't look up how much I was supposed to drink when I started. I tried drinking a lot less of the milk kefir after that and after a few days I stopped as it just seemed to be making things worse.

However, I left it for a couple of weeks after that and then started making my own water kefir. When drinking some, I started off by adding 1 tablespoon of kefir to a glass of squash (that's a small amount) and I had diarrhea once or twice, but after that it was fine. My bowels are very sensitive to any diet change (I've had diarrhea from changing from porridge to vegetable smoothies for breakfast before), so this didn't concern me too much. I've had chronic constapation for all of my life.... until I started taking water kefir. I've been taking 1-2 tablespoons of water kefir in a glass of squash once every 2-3 days for the last year and I very rarely have constipation. Now I just have normal, poops, which is awesome! A friend of mine has regular poops but finds that the water kefir makes their poops a bit more fluid, but says that the stomach aches/cramps/bloating they had has been reduced since taking the kefir, so they continue to take it for those benefits.

PS Home-made water kefir is pretty easy to make yourself. Let me know if you want any help with that if you're thinking of doing it yourself (if you don't already).

• Posted

Hi, you have to start very slowly with Probiotics. The first few days the Probiotics will kind of cleanse your whole system from bad bacteria and that will cause diarrhea.. but when taking too much Probiotics the bad bacteria will die off too fast and when they are dying they produce a gas that can create stomach pain and cramps.. so take it easy on the probiotics..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.