Diarrhoea after eating?

Posted , 2 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

This started about a month ago but it stopped for two weeks. The first time it happened (the first flare up) I blamed it on anxiety. However, as of yesterday it’s started again and I’m not suffering from anxiety.

I’m not eating any different to how I used to. I don’t have any known allergies (other than dust). I used to have milk intolerance as a 3 year old but I don’t have milk as a drink now.

I only have to go once and then I generally don’t need to go back again until after I’ve eaten again. The last time I had a flare-up, I lost around two pounds. I haven’t weighed myself this time so I don’t know.

What do I do?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Try a food symptom/diary to if a particular food causes it,  if this doesn’t solve it, see your doctor.
    • Posted

I’m honestly not sure. I’ve had bloating and stomach pains today and I’ve been noticing lemonade doesn’t make me feel well. I’m gonna try stopping drinking it.

Hoping it’s not my milk intolerance coming back instead.

• Posted

Do you have shifting abdominal pain?  I would see your doctor for some tests.
    • Posted

Hey, only just seen this reply (where have you gone, email notifications?).

It’s got a lot better now. I think it was because I didn’t eat anything with my tablets, as once I began to do so again it’s been a lot better.

I was going to go to the doctor but I wanted to exhaust all other options first, especially since sometimes it would be better than other times smile

• Posted

Sometimes the server doesn’t work properly and this could have caused a problem with email notifications.  I have had to report a fault or two to the technical team a few months back.

I’m glad your feeling better.  Sometimes you need to take food with some medications if they are strong.  I sometimes forget to take milk with nurofen and then I get heartburn.

• Posted

Yeah I completely didn’t realise until a family member suggested it to me. I used to eat with the tablets and then got out of that routine. I almost always do now. Sometimes I’ll skip a day if I don’t have any hunger whatsoever, and it’s fine.

My tablets aren’t even particularly big so it’s weird. I have to have 2 of them. They doubled the dosage of one of them recently though so that may have been why.

• Posted

Well I’ve stupidly not been eating with the tablets again and have been ill again! And I think it’s why I also get bad dizziness because I’ve been having that since yesterday!

It’s strange how it’s only after I’ve eaten lunch that it happens (the diarrhoea part, the dizziness is all day).

• Posted

It sounds like a few things are going on.  Not taking tablets with food and a possible food intolerance if the problems come on after eating even when you are taking the tablets with food.  You may also be having medication side effects.
    • Posted

Always eating the same stuff, so it’s weird! Recently I haven’t been having much fruit so maybe it’s that?

I start to get the weird feeling about halfway (or later) through eating but nothing actually happens until around half an hour or so later.

I’ve also been having chest pains these past few days and didn’t notice a link between this and the chest pains until now! So even stranger (the chest pains are just stabbing pains one point in the evening normally lying down and go away after a few minutes).

• Posted

Not taking much fruit would not cause diarrhoea; it would cause your stools to be firmer or cause constipation.  If you took a lot of fruit, this would be more likely to cause diarrhoea.  Food intolerance can also cause diarrhoea and medication side effects can also cause it.  A food may be causing it and you don’t realise it, especially if you get diarrhoea after eating.  This seems like a pattern.  Try the food diary to see if a pattern emerges.

Chest pain could be caused by acid reflux, stress or medication intolerance.  Dizziness can be caused by medication or stress. 

• Posted

It just seems strange that it’s on and off. Maybe it is a food intolerance like you said, but just not a severe one? I don’t know. 

Chest pain I think is related to exercise now as it’s been bugging me all day today when I’m out walking. Though the other days it’s been when I’m lying down. I suppose it could be acid reflux though as I get it sometimes, and I’ve been eating more chocolate (Easter fun(!)). Chest pain is only on my left side really and top part of the chest under the boob area (tmi but no other way of explaining it).

• Posted

Diarrhoea after eating sounds like a food intolerance.  If it is on and off, a possible explanation could be that when you don’t get a diarrhoea reaction, this might be because you haven’t eaten the food that could be causing it.  When you get the reaction, it is plausible that you have eaten something that disagreed with you.  To find out if this is the case, I would recommend a food diary.  Recording what you have eaten and any reactions you get, will help to establish if you are reacting to a particular food or foods.  That is how you will know if a food is upsetting your stomach.

Chest wall pain can be a sign of acid reflux or stress.  It can also be a sign of costochondritis (rib cage pain) especially if you are feeling it below your boobs, and all round your breast tissue.  When I got costochondritis, it started around my left side of my chest and left boob and then it spread to my right side of my ribcage and right boob. Although, in the main, it was on my left side. It affected the centre of my rib cage and wrapped around my back in the end.  I thought I had pulled a muscle with carrying a heavy bag but when the pain did not clear up after three months, I went to my doctor and was diagnosed on the spot.  I found my costochondritis affected me all day regardless of whether I was walking or sitting down. It was particularly bad while lying down when I leant on the area.  You would have to have been doing very vigourous excerise to have pulled a muscle there.  Simple walking wouldn’t cause this.  Stress is a leading cause of costochondritis.

The other possibility is gastritis which can cause rib cage pain.  Discuss these possibilities with your doctor.

• Posted

I’ll guess I try the food diary, but when I mean I eat the same stuff all the time I genuinely do. Not even variations because I have a strict diet (sensitive to taste and smell because of my autism, and I can tell when somethings different).

Like I said before, I had a milk intolerance as a baby so maybe I need to try drinking milk and seeing if it sets me off? I don’t like the stuff but if it’s a way to find out then I’ll tolerate it (fun fact- it tastes like a weird cold water to me).

I only need to go to the toilet once or twice after eating and then afterwards my stomach settles (normally only once but it will still feel dodgy until about an hour or so later).

Didn’t happen today and again I ate the same stuff so I can’t be 100% sure it’s not my tablets because I ate an hour before the tablets last night.

• Posted

Maybe you haven’t realised .that a food could be upsetting you. Sometimes, you can be alright with a food one week but the same food can affect you the following week.  This scenario is common with IBS.   My brother took a long time to work out that boiled potato or potato salad triggered his IBS. It can take time to identify a food intolerance.

Gut problems can go along with autism.  I am autistic and have GERD and IBS.  Gut problems like IBS, gastritis and GERD.can come and go.  Some days you will have symptoms but on other days you might have a remission.  Your best bet is too see your doctor who will be able to give you an exact diagnosis for your symptoms since you don’t know the cause yourself.    Discuss all these possibilities that I have mentioned with your doctor and you will find out if you have a stomach condition that is causing food intolerance or if your tablets are to blame.  If they are disagreeing with you, you can always change them.

• Posted

Yeah I’m going to at some point. Or ordering a food allergy testing kit so I know for certain. It’s so strange and frustrating. I think I have GERD as I get acid reflux a fair amount, particularly when eating chocolate (it’s also in my genes as my grandmother had the same thing happen to her all the time).

I’ll mention it when I meet my doctor again (the one who prescribed the tablets) and hopefully they’ll be able to refer me on to have a proper doctors appointment to see what they say. I’ve been due another appointment anyway. I’ll mention it next week to the person who knows the doctor when I see them smile

• Posted

I think you’re right. I’ve just been told that my “milk allergy” that I used to have was actually lactose intolerance.

I’ve noticed my stomach is sometimes dodgy after eating products with milk in. It’s usually just a weird dodgy stomach feeling (but not actually being dodgy) but sometimes it will be having to go to the toilet etc.

I had an ice cream on Friday and I noticed afterwards I had to go to the toilet, as well as my stomach feeling that weird dodgy feeling. And then on Thursday I had sandwiches, but it was just the stomach feeling again. Today I had Yorkshire puddings and again same thing.

• Posted

Since you are having reactions to these foods, simply avoid them.  Try going gluten free since you had a reaction after eating sandwiches.  You may be reacting to wheat or other grains in bread.  It looks like you have pinpointed a pattern between what you are eating and your reactions. 
    • Posted

It does explain them!  Ice cream is dairy product made from milk which you have had a problem with. You were told your milk allergy was lactose intolerance, ie, an intolerance to dairy/milk products.  This is your explanation  You can get lactose free products in the shops; try these instead. You do not need to look for reasons for your food intolerances.  All you need to do is to avoid these foods!   The solution is simple. 

I have trouble digesting highly oily or fatty foods such as salame sausage and chips cooked in lard.  I simply avoid these foods and the problem is solved. It doesn’t matter why I have these reactions.  It only matters if I eat these foods by mistake!

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up