Diazepam advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I hope I have posted this in the correct place. 

I have PTSD, Recurrent depressive disorder and GAD. 

I have been getting a VERY limited supply of diazepam for the last couple of years (aprox. 10, 5mg tablets every 3 MONTHS) it has been a real struggle each and every time to get the prescrition, having to explain why I want it to a doctor who ive not seen before, despite it being all over my records as to why I want them, which goes part way to retraumatising me each and everytime. I havent even been able to successfully get into therapy due to being retraumatised again and again. 

Anyway....

I am VERY annoyed about how limited I am to my access to this drug. My psychiatrist has agreed I can have 4 per month, which is kind of like adding insult to injury to he honest. 

I am so frustrated with only being able to havw 4 a month. I am more than aware of the consequences of taking diazepam and benzos, including increased tolerance and addiction. Whilst I understand that rationale I still have a severely limited life and have VERY severe panic attacks that need aborting and I dont have that option because I can only obtain 4 per month. 

I just need to know they are there availabl If I need them. I not even saying I would take more than 1 per week but knowing that they are there if I need them would be really helpful. Knowing I dont have any only goes to increase the intensity of panic attacks because of knowing I have no option to abort the panic attack. 

Im not asking the doctors to give me 100s of diazepam but maybe a full box of 28 and see how long it lasts. I just feel like im being treated like a child, only being given 4 per month. 

How can I approach this with my GP tomorrow. Im getting so frustrated with this whole situation. I feel like they hear what Im saying but dont actually listen

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Oh how I sympathise with you I've had exactly the same problem all this messing around trying to get my tablets put me in hospital and the stress made me so very Ill. I was already on them when one doctor decided to cut them down.there all for antidepressants now which also are addictive and some have bad side effects I don't know what you could do sorry but I know it's happening all over .

• Posted

Hi Charlie.

Along with Carol you have my empathy and sympathy. It's dehumanising to be treated like a 4 year old. I feel the same way. It's like Dr with the big stick giving out corporal punishment. I have been on a monthly prescription for 10 years, on exactly the same dosage as when it was originally prescribed, with a 10 year tolerance. The history speaks volumes. Now that 10yr dosage has been slashed by 70 % and they are only metted out to me in fortnightly batches. Why !? I never asked for, or needed, any more than I did 10 years back. Seems like you and me and a whole host of other folk are part of the 4 year old generation trying to have a meaningful conversation with a Doc who hears us but, knowingly chooses to not listen. It's sad and so fustrating and I am fed up to my back teeth, and then some ! I wish you strength and courage,and braveness, as you face your selective deaf Dr tomorrow. Wish I had a Harry Potter wand.

• Posted

I totally understand that you feel not listened to or trusted and like you I have PTSD (CPTSD to be precise).

I'm fully dependent on them having been negligently prescribed high dose and my experience is that once it becomes daily tolerance withdrawal can set in and make the flashbacks worse, much worse.

Please see this piece that argues that the neuroplasticity required to overcome trauma is actually inhibited in the long term by Benzos.

I'm not preaching, just offering another perspective.

http://benzoinfo.com/2016/09/10/benzodiazepines-are-contraindicated-in-post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.