Diazepam taper help needed

Posted , 12 users are following.

Am on diazepam 7mgs for 10 years.Have reached tolerance and they are making anxiety worse over the last 3 years.l take them for sleep however they now make me so agitated and anxious and during the day l feel as though I am going through withdrawal.Any advice would be great.l have read so many horror stories l am nearly beaten before I begin.

0 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Been on 30mg diazepam 10mg nitrazepam 10yrs unfortunately they bind so strong to the benzo receptors that they almost have to be taken otherwise functioning for me would be impossible rather stay on them its TORTURE MATE
    • Posted

God that's not good at least l have a choice.l can't wait to get off them.

• Posted

Your dosage is not very high but that doesn't mean you're not miserable.  I was on Xanax for 20 years and am nearing the end of my taper. Equivalent dosage of diazepam would be over 50mg/day.  Since you've been on the same dose for so long you're probably suffering from what I was, which is intra-dosage withdrawal.  You've developed a tolerance and you either increase the dose or experience withdrawal as it leaves your system between dose. The good news/bad news is you're already experiencing withdrawal at times.  As has been suggested you can either pursue having your dosage increased, a never ending scenario, or decide to get off.  I'm gone from 3.5mg Xanax/day to .5 now.  Although I've certainly experienced discomfort along the way, I don't wake up in a pure panic now, my memory is better, it's worth it.  The Ashton manual someone refers to explains withdrawal even while you're on the meds.  Very best wishes to you.

• Posted

Well done to you.l find the hardest thing to deal with is the increased anxiety and the low mood.l know it's withdrawal symptoms however sometimes it is more manageable than others.l definitely feel more emotional which is a good sign l think.Thank you for your support.

• Posted

Hi Marleen, how are you Doing?  Have you reduced Further? I took your advice and started skipping days. So far so good no bad days really in fact I find the days I skip I feel pretty good. Thanks for the suggestion! Will see what tomorrow brings😨!!

Hope you are hanging in there. Here if you need to chat. SHANE

• Posted

Hi Shane I think you are in the clear definitely over the worst of it.Well done.l am nearly at 5 mgs thank goodness.A bit sore and anxious nothing l can't handle.Am going to hold on 5 for 3 weeks and go from there.l am so proud of you.

• Posted

Hi Marleen, hope you are doing well! I jumped last Friday and so far not too bad. A little morning angst, ongoing tinitus and a cough which may not be related but all tolerable. I will keep you updated to give you an idea as to what to expect more or less. Definitely worthwhile to go slow and small reductions in my opinion. I keep reminding myself of your comment to not over think things. Helps me a lot to keep perspective and to just move forward every day. Thx for that. 

Let me know how you are doing. Shane

• Posted

I am delighted Shane you are free.l hope you are proud of yourself.l am doing ok muscles very sore but l keep going for walks to keep them from getting worse.Am about to start titrating down again l find that easier than bigger cuts.l do think that over thinking causes us a lot of distress so take it as it comes.l find that helps me keep in touch Shane
  • Posted

Hi Marleen, how are you doing? Still moving Down?  Hope you are feeling well.

SHANE

• Posted

Hi Shane down to 4mgs getting there.l have to say it is a horrendous experience but I will do it and I will never ever go back again.l hope you are feeling a lot better now you are off the poison
    • Posted

Good for you! I know it is an awful ugly thing to detox from this horrid drug. I am so glad you stuck with it. Just take the time you need while still moving down. Is a process not a race. You will get there. I promise if I can you can too. The only thing that bothers me now is tinnitus. I am hoping that this will fade in time. Otherwise all good and like you I will never ever go back again. 

Take Care and if you need some virtual support please reach out to me.

Shane

• Posted

Thanks Shane keep an eye on this feed l probably will be looking for support before this is over.
    • Posted

Hang in Kiddo! As horrible as it  can be at times, every day done is a day closer to being off. Well worth it!

Keep in Touch!

Shane

• Posted

Hi Marleen

Wondering how you're doing?

I'm waiting to stabilise after med change debacle before starting diazepam taper. Am on 6mg a day. Hate the stuff. 

Wishing you well.

• Posted

How are you Marleen? I’ve been thinking of you.

Just had the most horrific 12 day wave, it’s gonna take a while to recover from my med cts this summer. 

I’m hoping you’re holding and holding on x

• Posted

Hi Nikki sorry about the delay.How are you. I am just down to 3mgs and am going to sit on that till after Xmas.l hope you are feeling better.X
    • Posted

Hey Marleen, good for you! You are closing in on the end! Great idea to hold now until after Xmas. You can attack it again in January with a new resolve.

Believe me the future freedom from this poison is now within your grasp. I did it and you will too! Worth every second of pain,

discomfort and general awfullness to get there.

Sending positivity to you!! Shane

• Posted

Thank you Shane l am delighted to see you are doing well.l am pushing through and I hopefully will be off early next year.As long as I stay on my feet l will be so happy.Again thanks for your support speak soon.X
    • Posted

Hi Shane l hope you are well l am on 2.5mgs and hanging in there.lt is horrendous but doable.l am nearly there haha.Merry Xmas to you l hope you have a good one

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.