Did anyone else mask their anxiety with alcohol?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Been given 20mg citalopram and still can't bring myself to take it, am so worried about the side effects, Ive been suffering from severe anxiety/panic attacks for about 6 months now...the only thing that calms me down is when I have a drink, know its not good but its driving me crazy.

Im just trying to build myself up to taking these tablets as I can't carry on like this!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello. Please don't feel worried to try these tablet. I have had bad depression and bad nerves for years and never did anything about it ! I went to my Doctors one day because I could not go on like this. He put me o n 20m Citalopram and been on them about 3 Years and I would not be without them .

I have had no side affects and I feel so much calmer and my Anxiety is very low and I feel relaxed about day to day events. I had to go back for a review after a few months on and I said I was happy on them and no problems

I asked If I could stay on them Long term and my Doctor said I could if I found them beneficial and I asked if they could be addictive and he said no I could come off them at any time with no bad affects. SO I am still taking them.

If you can ditch the Drink and give these ago you might be a lucky one like me !!!

All the Best !!

• Posted

That is great to hear, thank you, I will give them a try. Glad that they have worked for you and you're doing so well!
  • Posted

I would confirm what Mumbo has posted, give them a try and even if you do have one or two of the side effects it is well worth it in the end.

I have been on them for 5 weeks now 10mg and feel so much better than I did, experienced increased anxiety for parts of some days but that disappeared after a week or so also nausea but GP gave some medication for that.

Go for it it is worth it in the end.

Best of luck.

• Posted

I had severe anxiety and depression and have been on these for 9 years now. Before taking these, I was dosing myself up with alcohol almost every night to stop the anxiety without realising that alcohol makes depression and anxiety so much worse the next day. So I would say cut right back on the alcohol and take the citalopram instead. They really helped me through a very difficult time. I would say though, it can be very hard to get off them for some people, depending on the length of time taken, the dosage and the person.
  • Posted

Thanks for that...it's true, the alcohol just gets rid of the anxiety straight away and its such a relief when it does, its just a shame its so bad for you! I am going to start taking these tablets, just worried me how many negative comments there are about the side effects...some 4 weeks into taking them, don't know wether I could cope.

I do need to do something though so I will give them a try.....

• Posted

Hi Angipoos

You will cope as you will have anxiety either way even if you dont take the cit so at least when on the CIT there will be light at the end of the tunnel and after coming thru it myself, the side effects were just my anxiety as it takes weeks for you body and mind to adjust to the citalopram so thinking back I may had no side effects just the anxiety I already had till the cit kicked in, just its not quick for most folk and it is quick for some, but be strong you will get there and its great !!!! just normal again !!!

Please join us on the forum Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram? as so many folk there to support you that have been thru the same thing, have a wee read and see if you think it will help you, its a tough journey but better than suffering continously. anyone whom wants can join this forum and get support when they need it, its good to know ur not the only one with this.

Take care

Anne

• Posted

I am now on day 8 of Citalopram and felt dreadful this a.m. after taking two paracetamol at 3.am. for headaches. Is this the reason for the severe depression etc. Don't know how long I can take these tablets for although there have been some positive thoughts on them I just feel dreadful and want to lock myself away.

• Posted

Hi Carol

Please join us and read some of the posts on the forum Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram? and you will see its so worth it to stick with the Cit and you will feel great again, don't give up be strong and you will get there. you are very early days yet so your body is still adjusting,

Take care

Anne

• Posted

A few days ago I went back on to Citalopram for the 3rd time. I was initially prescribed it in 2007 after having a near mental breakdown and stayed on them for two and a half years. in 2011 i suffered a setback and again my doctor suggested Citalopram would help, this time I was on them for just over 2 years until Nov 2013. Unfortunately I have had health problems and even though this seems to be sorted my anxiety and general feeling of self worth has gradually decreased. I suffered an extreme panic attack last Saturday night and felt the worst I had experienced in a very long time. I immediately made an appointment with my doctor and the consensus was that I was not to feel let down but the good thing was that I had recognised the dark feelings that I was having were inappropriate and that I had to seek help. This is my 5th day back on 20mg and my head is fuzzy and I feel a bit edgy but I feel a lot calmer than I have done plus I can now allow myself time to think. I really wish you the best of luck and I really hope your situation improves. From my point of view Citalopram really does work, just give it time and try and think positive.

XXX

• Posted

P.S Go teetotal for a while and you will feel awesome, waking up with no hangover is the best feeling smile
  • Posted

Angipoos. Your signature suggests you have not lost your sense of humour at least lol I started taking Citalopram about 9 months ago. I had never taken any anti-depressant drugs before, but I was desperate to try anything that stopped me feeling so low in spirit & permanently anxious over nothing at all. I went on 10mg for 1 month, then 20 for 1 month I am now on 40mg. I still have low moods. I have a number of other physical ailments that get me down.

However, my father-in-law passed away 2 weeks ago after an 8yr battle with cancer. He was like a dad to me for over 40yrs. He was also my friend. His funeral was last Tuesday, & I had to give a short welcome speech at the reception, with 100 people there. I was nervous as to what to say as I had never spoken in company like this before & I am a naturally very shy person. On the day, I stood up with my little piece of paper & I never felt the slightest bit nervous at all. There is NO WAY I could have done that without something to ease the stress inside me. Citalopram is the only drug of its type I am taking & I believe it is responsible for me being able to do what I did. I was so inwardly proud of myself. The others are right. Ditch the booze. You have nothing to loose. I personally don't recall any side effects. Mind you I have so many other complaints, I probably wouldn't notice... lol

Feel free to PM me if you wish. Always ready to chat. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.