did somebody have to re do bunion surgery?

Posted , 6 users are following.

If so, could you share your experiences?  Thank you

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes !

I had my first bunionectomy last December but the bump was still there, the surgeon only shaved the top off and not the side.

Had another bunionectomy with fusion and realignment, very slow recovery!

• Posted

I am in the same situation as you.  In my case, the doctor told me that I was ready after 7 1/2 weeks from the surgery even though he saw my foot blueish, swalloed, and unable to walk.  He even saw mee the x rays taken from that day and pointed out the pins he put arguing they were in the right place,  The next day after receiving this diagnosis, another doctor took another set of X rays and it showed that I don't have ANY pin.  He said that there ane not pins that can be dissolved in 7 1/2 weeks.  In the mean time I am in a 24/7 hrs pain.  My second toe that it used to be a hammer toe is bent down very bad that when I take a step, the 2nd toe goes further down.  My big toe is curved and there is a bump on the side like a mediun bunion.  Because of the two toes down, I don't have balance to walk and when I do it cuses a big pain in all my foot, ankle, heel, knee and upper lig and hip.  My knees were fine before surgery, now they hurt and strat craking when I walk.

I will have another appt with 2nd dr when he receives the documents from the surgery from 1st dr and go decide what to do.  The 2nd dr told me that in the mean time I should go to physical therapy to reduce the pain and "see if it gets better"  I don't think the therapy can allined my bones that the dr didn't do, but I have to follow the protocol and insist in have the work done propertly. 

Did your dr discused with you what he was going to do before the surgery?  I asked my dr and he only said he was going to put a pinthat will dissolved  in the 2nd toe and didn't said anything else.  It seems that he was bother to eplain me the spteps.  I went along with his attitud because the secretary from my primary dr insisted that he was the only podiatrist in the list of drs authorized by my insurance.  So it was he or keeping my painfull bunion another year.  I regreted now.  Comparign the pain I feel now, the pain of my bunion was nothing.  This one is 24/7.  I cannot sllep or walk.

Do you have some tips to prepare me for the second surgery. Thank you very much.

• Posted

Hi, 

it does seem that you are really going through it.

The surgeon discussed with me beforehand what the surgery would involve, he did say there would be pins sticking out, but luckily they weren't needed.

I'm nine weeks post op tomorrow, my foot gets swollen in the morning and after walking, I place a cold gel eye mask on my foot, I still can't wear normal shoes, did try on Saturday but my foot was so puffy after that I won't be trying that again soon.

Lots of elevation and a cold compress.

Good luck.

• Posted

You are nine weeks from your second surgery?  Is the pain the same as the first one?

I live by myself and it was so diffucult to move to do the basic things.  I am not looking forward to go inot the second one but I cannot walk more than 20 min and I am damaging my leg's bones especially my knees.  

What other medicine help you with pain after surgery.  I am allergic to any medicine with codeine.  Thank you Terrie 

• Posted

Terri, how long didi you wait for having a secod operation?  They need to re do the whole surgery and the dr (second opinion) told me I need to wait at lease 6 months.  I am concerned because right now I am out of balance and I am wearing and tearing my knees, leg, hips.  Please let me know how lon did you wait 4 having the second one done.  Thank you.

• Posted

Hi,

I had my first op last December, had my first out patient appt. at three months when it was decided I needed a further op, which I had done middle of this July, so not too long.

I have an out patient appt the end of this month as my toe/foot is still not right, my toe looks deformed and still painful.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Terri,

Wow, are you saying your first followup appt. wasn't for 3 months after having the surgery?  If so how can they tell if healing is going the way its suppose to if they don't check it for three months?  The bones will have already started setting and cant be corrected again without actual surgery?

• Posted

Forgot to say that I did have an X-ray when the stitches were taken out, but the second op was decided three month post first op.
    • Posted

My bone is now fused with screw and metal plate, so any correction would be done six months post op.
    • Posted

December 2014 failed bunionectomy 

Was then decided to do bunionectomy fusion and realignment which was done this July, still have a gap between big toe and and the little ones, have an appt this month to see if anymore surgery is needed!

• Posted

Terrie,

you mean that it is better to wait 6 months for the second op to correct the problem?  why?  

My first op was done wrong.  I cannot walk on my 2 toes were on surgery because dr make them too down and the mucles are too tight that I cannot walk more that 20min before I have a bad pain in my foot,and whole leg.  My knee is hurting me because I am wearing and tearing the knee bones, my ankle, my hip so in 6 months I will damage more my bones.  Let me know.  Thank you Terrie

• Posted

here is a picture of my foot.  The second toe is the one is much lower that the first.  It hurts a lot.
    • Posted

terrie when they do the fusion they cut the join and make the toe frozen?
  • Posted

I had my bungion done in February however I fell and broke my toe week two and it will have to be redone.. I was due to go back in sept but had to delay the operation due to an achellies tendon also needing to be done on my other foot. So the appointment is no December..
    • Posted

I've finally had my operation done, plus send and third toes fused, I had it done on Friday 29 July 2016....I forgot how difficult it is to get around, this time being worse cos I'm terrified of doing any damage x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.