diet and increasing the dose

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all, i was prescribed 10mg of citalopram at the beginning of december last year. They worded a treat for my anxiety/panic till about the end of January when i started to feel it creeping back. I've now been on 20mg for 4 weeks and don't really feel a difference. Has anyone else felt like this. How long does it take to feel the benefit? I also feel if i don't eat or drink water regularly i start to feel worse. Anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I find diet is vital in getting things right. If I dont eat properly I feel low and get detached feelings. I am on 40mg and I am really good if I eat a diet high in vitamins and protein. If I eat crap, I feel crap.
  • Posted

Hi

I've got a magazine cutting which says you can eat yourself out of depression. Basicly it says eat healthy.

It says eat 3 regular meals a day, low fat diets can lead to depression. Eat food high in folic acid. Ditch sugar and caffeine. It says surges in sugar is not good for depression. Plenty of Omega 3 eg. oily fish. Eggs too are good. Don't drink alcohol.

A healthy meal for depression is wheat free pasta with pesto, oily fish, avocado and mixed seed salad. Yum yum :roll: (i'm not sure what pesto is)

It says avoid trans fats and hydrogenated fats which are found in processed food and deep fried food.

But this is all in magazine cutting and have not tried it myself, but it is food for thought. :wink:

Lizzy

• Posted

Hi,

My experience is 20mg cit since oct 08, for anxiety (primary) and depression. In Jan 09 i weaned myself off, cos I thought benefit v side effects was too much. Then after a coupla weeks went back on cos not too good and did 40mg/day - initially better, then back to norm, so am now going to wean off, stop and then be healthyish. There are many avenues to explore - diet and alternatives eg herbs, clean food and a bit of tai chi might do it for me, and possibly you2.

Also did counselling (not for the first time) but I am not open to it...

Love, Adsee

• Posted

hi all

I have been on 10mg citalopram for anxiety and panic attacks and mild depression since early January and have been feeling really great till about 3 days ago. I am now writing this from work as I am about to burst into tears and pack in my job which I can't afford to do. I am not sure what is happening, I can't even stand hearing everyone voices, what on earth is happening. I am seeing the doctor next week but I am not sure if this is normal.

best wishes to you all

Marie

• Posted

Hi,

From my experience this is quite normal, you may always have bad days (or periods thereof), even when taking meds. Another increase in dose may help (?) or maybe a different drug/approach.

I quit my job last Oct for exactly the same reason as you feel, it was not the best thing to do - it depends though on the support provided by your workplace - do you have an occupational health facility at work???

Please talk to your GP or ring a health professional. Make sure you look after yourself holistcally - drink water always and diet is very important.

TC, adsee

• Posted

hi adsee

thank you for your encouraging words because I am so scared I am going back down to how I was. My manager called me in just after I emailed and I told her how I was feeling, they know I am on antid's and I do have their support so that is good. I just felt so desperate and wanted to run, it was awful. The last few days have felt like someone has put a pin in my cushion that was keeping me up, very scary.

Anyway, I really appreciate any comments and support and will see what the gp says next week

best wishes

Marie

• Posted

Yes i was the same, i had been on 20mg for 2 months and found by end of two months, was worse than ever. So i increased to 40 mg for 1 month and did not make a difference.

So Sat night i flushed the lot down the toilet i suggest you do the same. So far i just feel dizzy, but have lost 2 pounds in weight already. i put on over half stone in 3 months.

They are crap in my opion, the first 2 months i felt great, think this drug must be like heroine, not that i have done it. But you have to keep increasing dose to get same feeling

Good luck

Lisa Garratt

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.