Dieting.and constipation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi l recently joined weightwatchers and it going well. I have ibs  with constipation and now l am eating a large amount of fruit,vegetables and salad the constipation is worse!! Any suggestions please as it doesn't seem to make sense. Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

This does not make a lot of sense to me either I'm afraid.

How much exercise are you getting?

May be worth taking laxido.

Sarah

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Maybe try cutting back on the fruit and vegetables.  Some fruits and vegetables may contain insoluable fibre which are harder to digest.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Are you drinking enough water? very important as your bowel absorbs quite a lot. I have severe IBS-C, I can't tollerate any fruit, or raw veg when I am having a bad flare. I find that eating chia seeds ( a tablespoon mixed in a glass of juice , almond milk or water) daily can help me and psylium can also be effective but you must consume plenty of water with them or they can solidify and make matters worse, also make sure that it becomes a daily ritual as it can take a couple of weeks to get things working regularly. smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies. I do walk quite a bit but probably don't drink enough so will try that. My GP gives me macro gel for the constipation so will take one twice a week and see if that helps. If l take them every day l find they give me diarrhoea. Can't win !!!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Daily moderate exercise, as much water as you can comfortably drink, reduced simple sugars, look into a gluten free diet, stress reduction techniques, and a gentle laxative or stool softener if necessary. Good luck smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You have increased your fibre too quickly, and so have worsened the constipation.

cut back on fruit and veg for a bit, drink lots of fluid and then slowly increase the fruit and veg (one extra serving a week)

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Maybe look.at your diet.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up