Dieting with a TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been going to slimming world to lose weight before my op and managed to lose just over 2st. What I want to know is ,will my new knee be heavier or lighter than the original? I want to know what I can blame my weight gain on!!!!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry your new parts will weigh very similar to what they have taken out.
    • Posted

Oh dear, it's probably the chocolates and biscuits I've been eating then!!! I blame my husband, he's the one who bought them for me!!! lol
  • Posted

Ha ha. I tried that one when I put on about 6 lbs.  it only weight a few onzs .

it is hard to keep the weight down though as you will be sitting around and resting more than normal.   Fill the house with healthy snacks.   Good luck with your op. 

• Posted

Fruit doesn't have the same appeal as chocolate at the moment!!! Lol
  • Posted

This is kind of positive - I lost my appetite for about 2 months after the op which is most unlike me. I lost about 1/2 stone. So, as I say, it's sort of one of the plus points 😊 Unfortunately, I've put it all back on since and am now back on the diet!! 
    • Posted

Unfortunately for me, I only lost my appetite for a couple of days. 
    • Posted

My appetite went awol for 2 months as well, but for the first time in my adult life  I didnot care what shape/size or weight I was which seems sooo not fair ! I was (breifly) very thin and didi not even enjoy it !!
    • Posted

I was the same Dotty Lotty. I actually got down to the weight I'd been trying to be for months but found I was longing to get my appetite back and trying to make myself eat more! 
  • Posted

Hi, I am also trying to lose weight on slimming world. I lost three stone easily, before I hurt my knee, then the weight slowly crept back on again but since my pkr I have struggled to lose it again. The weight loss is really, really slow and since February I have only managed to lose 9 lb. It really goes to show how much the lack of moving around affects the weight loss, even though I am attending the gym once a week and keep up the exercises at home it is obviously greatly reduced from before. All we can do is keep trying. Any weight loss must be beneficial to our knees.
    • Posted

That's why I started dieting again. My weight yo-yos and I know from experience that the heavier I am , the more my knee bothered me. I just hope I can get back on it again soon. 
    • Posted

Losing 9lbs since February is brilliant, Susan. I wish I could sat the same. I haven't been able to face being strict with my diet till this week. Been doing a lot of comfort eating I reckon. After putting on another few pounds on my holiday last week I realise I must though. As you say, it can only be beneficial for our knees. I can't face returning to Weight Watchers or Slimming World though and am going to try to do it myself. Maybe we could have a weekly check in / weigh in on this forum to keep us motivated 😊 
    • Posted

Yes good idea. I have my class tomorrow. I have been sticking to plan but don't feel as if I've lost any weight. We will see. Its a bit like my progress with my knee, one step forward, two steps back.
    • Posted

I know exactly what you mean. I've done quite well so far this week but now my husband suggests we go out for lunch today rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.