Dietitian advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

After being diagnosed with diverticulitus lower abdomen pain I had lots of tests. Then I went on holiday and felt very ill and bleeding. After 3 lots of antibiotics I am left now without the shivers and nasea, feeling much better but with variable moderate pain in my lower left side and bloating. I have just been told to just eat lots of fibre, but its not easy so I wondered if I should ask my doctor to see a dietitian? Has anyone done this?

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product names as we do not allow repeated posting of product names in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service .

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

After a flare up it is best to just do liquids. Once feeling better then add fiber in, mainly with fruits and veggies. Drink lots of water. The key is to stay as regular as possible to keep your bowels moving smoothly.
    • Posted

I wondered at what point is 'feeling better' as I just have this lower left tummy pain that is hardly noticeable for much of the time now but is rather uncomfortable if I feel bloaty. I wondered if it is just the remnant of the scary episode I had and it will always play up. I have been given Peppermint  tablets from my doctor to see if they help. They do a bit I think. You think a liquid diet would remove the pain further?

Bowels are fine as you suggested. I have been taking that soluble fibre which seems to help as well. I feel much fitter now than months ago when I had fevers and nausea.

• Posted

Hello Jim

Dont have fibre while on a flare up. Just drink water for three days and then go to scrambled egg and health milk mix es,  Clear soups.  Gradually go onto more solid food but avoid skins and nuts.  Be very careful not to get constipated and get the necessary laxative from the chemist or doctor.  It has to be a very "gentle" one. This is the way Ive learnt to cope with my Diverticulitis.  Plenty of sleep and rest is good. Have a few early nights and keep drinking a lot of water. Ive found it easier to drink the water through a straw. If You have anything more you would like to help you, please let me know.  Hope you feel better soon. Vera

• Posted

Hello Jim

It would be worth a try to just stay on water and liquid for a day mebe two. It sounds although your intestine is still a bit angry and not fully healed.  Give it another rest as Ive suggested and if you still have discomfort its best to see the doctor.  Have you had an xray or scan etc? Sometimes when the food is passing down the colon and passing the inflamed diverticular places it can cause discomfort if its not full healed.

I think that once we have diverticulitis we are very aware and nervous of any pain in that area and it is quite understandable because it is so painful. Let me know how you get on.  Vera

• Posted

Hi Vera

Oops, my wife has just made a meal with lots of veg. I am going to contact my doc again. I wondered if the niggly now and then pain was all part of the condition that  I had to put up with, but your explanation makes some sense. I will suggest that I go on your diet to see what my doc says. I will let you know. Can't be that easy without solid food for a few days. Many, many thanks for your advice 

• Posted

Hello Jim. Yes its hard to avoid food especiall on usually the second day when hunger creeps in! Vegetables are fine to have when the attack has really decided to finish. Another thing Ive learnt from experience is to have smaller meals more often.

Im off to get a nice cuppa now. Let me know what advice your doctor gives you.

It will be interesting because I was given conflicting advice from two different doctors in hospital.!! One said "avoid pips, nut, and skins" and the other said  "Eat anything" as the medical people havent proved it yet. Best wishes. Vera

• Posted

Hi Vera

Tried to get an appointment at the doc but guess what he's away for a for a fortnight. Then I could only talk on the phone to a new doctor about my dv. Just fuzzy advice, without examining me. Oh he did offer me a scan for rheumatic? I declined and said I would leave it for now. Your advice was good, but I have difficulty with the liquid diet, I did try, ended up eating less for the day and not too much fibre for a change and this seems to ease bloating. I have just had a strong coffee and my stomach is creaking, so I wonder if just tea is the answer. It seems everyone has specific different experiences with this condition. I am surprised the condition does not get more attention from media or booksellers seeing as it is so extensive a problem in the western world. I think my own doctor, who has dealt with me during a bad flare up is still lacking in knowledge and easily reaches for quick answers with one eye on the clock...ie eat more fibre...water...antibiotics?  Yet I read that some fibre ie bran does nor suit some people. So in the end it is useful to read here other peoples experiences and search out books online all to get a handle on this condition.

• Posted

Hi,

That is so true that doctors give very little advice on this condition. I have learned what to eat through trial and error. Antibiotics does heal the infection but it also kills the good bacteria in your GI tract. You have to restore the good bacteria in order to avoid more problems. I take probiotics everyday with my meal. I minimize fried foods and cheese because too much grease will cause a flare up as well. Once you discover what foods are best with you, stick with that as your diet because each person maybe a little different when it comes to the food. I have not had any flare ups in a year and I believe its good to do liquids for a few days each month just to give your intestine rest. Also, i do some herbal remedies such as aloe vera juice and tea's. I think with me fiber supplements isn't good so I mainly get my fiber through food. In order to not feel bloated or pain you must get the inflammation down in your intestines.

• Posted

Some good advice for me here I think. Self discipline seems to be another factor I will have to get better at.
  • Posted

Yes Jim you are right . But its easier said than done! Its very easy once the attack has passed to stop being so carefull with diet. I was taken off certain painkiller (which we mustnt name apparently) and told to only take Paracetamol. Best wishes to you Vera

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.