Difference?

Posted , 10 users are following.

what's the difference between Dp/DR

and brain fog?

I had a few days where it wasnt as bad but yesterday and today I just feel really off and wierd.

it's hard to explain. but I just don't feel right. spaced out a little and just off.

its causing most of my anxiety at the minute.

I'm on citalopram for just over 6 weeks but had it when on sertraline and that was one in many reasons I switched back to citalopram.

I'm scared its DP/DR so that's not helping the anxiety at all and is definitely prolonging my recovery.

how can I tell which one it is and how I deal with it.

also my memory is shocking too. I don't know if that helps to tell what it is.

reassurance please as this anxiety is too much x

0 likes, 359 replies

359 Replies

Next
  • Posted

brain fog is when you forget things and everything seems gray.more than likely you have dr/dp but it will subside . i had all three symptoms brought on by cit.dont worry potato six weeks is still too early.that weirdness you are having is part of recovery.

• Posted

do you think it's more DP/DR?

is it a normal side effect that will go away?

I never had it before on citalopram so that's a bit worrying 😓

I dont feel detatched from my body or surroundings though x does that make a difference? thanks lois x

• Posted

if you dont feel detach thats a good thing. thank goodness.because i felt detach .at least you know is not severe .and also that dp/dr feeling also comes from all the changes.and more than likely you will be experiencing weird feelings from time to time .so try not to panic is just your brain trying to catch up with normality.

• Posted

I just feel wierd and off. a bit spaced out and if it is that do I have to change meds or keep going? I've seen people say it never went away for them until they switched meds x 😭😭

I've noticed that when my physical anxiety is low my mental anxiety is a lot higher and that when I get the feeling

strange x

I just want to get better I cant cope with this anymore x

• Posted

it goes away.those people you say it never went away they are more than likely talking in perhaps weeks .folks seem to panic like my self.that if a mental med is not working rapidly they assume the i have to change med attitude quickly.all of that you mention will subside .patience buddy is required.you are going to see saw symptoms thru out this journey.i know is hard trying to combat thru these strange feelings but they are side effects and they will subside.

• Posted

thank you lois x so just keep pushing on then.

it's so difficult x I just want more than anything to get better!

so you had the same things starting the meds so that's reassuring that it will go x I just need to try and ignore the feeling I suppose and keep going x

patience is the most difficult thing when feeling so crap x

they have worked before so they will work again right?

can symptoms change weeks in? a lot of stuff didn't hit me until a good few weeks in 🤔

• Posted

my concentration and memory arent great if I'm honest but just feel very off and strange x

• Posted

brain fog comes in many forms potato.mine where forgetting things .and everything seem so gray.they will work as long as you can withstand those horrible side effects plus iam sure you are still having some form of withdrawl on top of startups .plus your natural anxiety letting you have it.

• Posted

it's kinda like feeling a bit spaced out and not detatched but a little .............detatched 😅

things are a tiny bit blurry, not a lot but a little x

a bit wobbly on my feet too x not super dizzy just very unsteady x

thanks lois.

seems I have developed some health anxiety apparently too 🙄

• Posted

absolutely.about the health anxiety.and the blurry eye sight is highten anxiety brought on by cit.but it will subside trust n believe potato.when i had that wobbly feeling in my legs i fell twice not good at all .so be careful where you step.missing a step is yucky .out brains are so busy trying to figure out whats happening that we forget about our wobbly legs.and when you least expected boom !you fell

• Posted

Lois, its 9 weeks 3 days of sertraline. Thursday i had 7 hours feeling normal. yesterday i went to a dinner party and felt good for 5 hours. i still wake up every morning with horrible anxiety. is this normal

• Posted

you are on your way to recovery.very normal what you are feeling.

• Posted

hahahah I've done that multiple times already! my legs are so weak and shakey aswell it doesn't help 😅

so everything I'm suffering is normal and to keep going?

dizzyness

brain fog

headaches

muscle aches

anxiety

low mood

blurry vision

adrenaline rushes

panick

what a wonderful existence I live 😅

• Posted

that list is way too familiar.i live that madness for roughly 8months

• Posted

lois did you have a hard time going out sometimes

• Posted

yes i did .and when i was out and felt wierdness i ran home for comfort.

• Posted

potato, i walk off the weak legs, are they your only symptoms? it would take a week to list mine boohoo x

• Posted

for me was 8months .for you could be quicker.just stay strong .at least you are inform thru n thru with positive n negative information.i was clueless with all the ins n outs .i thought i was going insane.or dying

• Posted

just forced my self to take the dog for a 2 mile walk calmed me down. Expecting 12 to 24 " of snow sunday- Tuesday in Vermont. All you lucky people living where its warmer

• Posted

8 months! you are a machine for being able to last that long!

oh I've definitely felt I'm going insane a few times. why does anxiety make you feel that way? stupid anxiety! I just want to see some improvement then I'll be happy that I'm on the right path x

everything scares me and tells me I wont get better and the meds wont work again and blah blah

• Posted

when you have try all the meds that did not work or at least i thought that.i had faith in learning that is a long process.so i just figure something had to give .like i said before serotonin does get release daily from the tablets so something has got to give.until your seratonin gets level out so will your mood .that up n down mood swings is Hideous

• Posted

2 years 3 months for me, but ive had a few better days, my brain is sharper again my eyesight improves and no pain etc on good days! glad i didnt take doctors advise and take benzos as that doesnt always end well!

• Posted

Hi Potatoghost,

Your describing me oh so well. I have all those symptoms, on a lower dose of 5 mg for 7 months. I fell on my knees getting out of the car today to go the chippy lol.

• Posted

what you still have all those symptoms after 7 months!! 😮😮

you still anxious and depressed too?

• Posted

has it really been that long!! wow its gotta let up at some point right?

• Posted

it's not so much depression atm but rediculous anxiety. I can barely function properly it's just getting sill now lol x I've been in the bedroom all day as I get anxious if I have to go anywhere or do anything at all. I try to get outside sometimes but can't always manage it.

• Posted

Yes but not everything every day. They seem to come in cycles. I get good days in between too which gives me hope.

• Posted

thats good that you are having good days in between. have you considered increasing them to 10mg for a little bit of extra help?

• Posted

placebo?not for me or the entire patients of my phychiatrist office .she has everyone on low doses of ssri.

• Posted

I was on 10 for years. I decided to wean off slowly. I get gum infections, 3 monthly dental appointments, not saying it is due to citalopram but one of the side affects is receding gums so I take antibiotics and they don't mix well with citalopram. When I take antibiotics it seems my anxiety gets worse with other symptoms too. Went to 7.5 and now 5. I'm staying on 5 mg now though. I don't want to go through this all over again by reducing further. I find them very powerful, maybe I'm sensitive to meds, but the smallest amount has a huge affect on me.I've Just want to stabilise now and deal with whatever after.

• Posted

Just to add, initially my doctor started me on 20 mg but the dose was too high for me, I couldn't function on it, felt much better on 10 and 10 served me well for years.

• Posted

each to their own i guess - my psych says anxiety usually needs higher doses

• Posted

i suffered with severe anxiety and the lower dose for me of ten milligrams work wonders.

• Posted

oh I see x I didn't realise you were weaning down x

yeah I have heard that too and I know some antibiotics definitely interact with citalopram.

I've been up to 40mg in the past and didn't have a single side effect.

this time round it's like someone dropkicked me in the brain! lol x

when they start working I'm never coming off. I'm gonna go live in the woods with just me and my wonderful anti anxiety pills lol x

if they ever work that is 🙄

• Posted

thats great Lois you are really lucky. i started on 15 last time but had to go up to 20 to know the b*****d off so am on 20 this time too

• Posted

but if it causes infections wont it still at 5mg? i always get ear infections with cit, one of the many many reasons im getting off!

• Posted

I've read that you don't always have the same experience with them the second time around, however, that doesn't mean they are not going to work for you again. You have to find the dose that's right for you. It takes time but you have to remind yourself that these feelings are temporary and you have to try and get on with your life while this is happening. I push myself to go places or do things I don't feel like doing and it actually helps me.

• Posted

Probably, although I'm hopeful that if I'm on a lower dose I won't get so many problems. I don't want to think about reducing any more, at least for now. The withdrawal affects are too severe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.