Different pains and sensations after PE

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I’d like some advice please. I’m a 41 year old woman, overweight and was a smoker. I had a massive PE that I’m told broke in to several large clots in both lungs in December 2017.  I quite smoking instantly and I am eating very healthily since.  Just over two months later, I’m experiencing the odd chest pain but also pains in both calf muscles on and off. Last night I got chest pain and felt close to passing out but this passed quite quickly. Today I have had burning pain in my right calf and now my left. I took claxane for the first 4 weeks and have been on 20mg of rivaroxaban for the last 3 weeks but my hemotologist has decided against any further checks and I’m scared of these pains. Is this normal? I was told it was normal to have residual pain and no one seems to want to investigate but I feel the burning is a worry.  My GP says he agrees with the hemotologist and there’s no longer term plan other than remaining on medication for life.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Did you have pain in your legs before? Or is it new pain? It is very frustrating with PEs when you have this reoccurring pain. I’ve been to the hospital a half dozen times in the last two months with different pains and symptoms with no new clots or issues. Unfortunately all you can do is listen to your body and if you feel something isn’t right, go the the emergency room. It’s better to be safe than sorry! 
    • Posted

Thanks Nicole, I had pain in my left leg which caused a limp for a few hours  about 10 days before ending up in high dependency unit with a heart rate of 130 and bp of 83/38. I didn’t have any pains at all after the initial time and these symptoms have been since being on blood thinners. There’s no swelling but there wasn’t initially either and I’d say these pains are worse and more frequent with the burning being new.  It’s a huge scare and I don’t know what is considered normal as I’ve had little support or follow up since being discharged.  I’ve not so much as a blood test since I left hospital. 
    • Posted

As much as it sucks the only thing to do is go the the emergency room. They can do a chest CT and ultra sound of your leg to make sure you’re not having any new issues. The chances are small with you being on blood thinners but it does happen. I definitely understand how scary it can be and it’s honestly worth it to go to the ER just to have some piece of mind. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.