Difficulty coping with everyday.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I have just experienced what I think is my first "anxiety" problem. About 6 days ago I became very anxious at work and didn't like the way I felt. It didn't feel "normal" and just wished I could go to sleep and wake up feeling "good" again. I work away from my home and had to endure a 5 hour flight to get back to my house. This flight was the most difficult thing I have ever done. Minutes felt like hours and I had to constantly do things to distract me form losing the plot. I didn't feel like I was going have a panic attack but it was so removed to what I would call feeling "normal" I feared I would never come back to my version of safe reality. I am in a country with not so good medical services and when I went to a GP he just prescibed Xanax and sent me on my way. I took the Xanax (0.5mg twice a day) but didn't really feel that much better. It made me less on edge but certainly didn't completely take the feelings away. The only way I can describe my feelings is that its like being on a "bad trip" that never stops. I don't take drugs or drink heavily. 

I don't know if I have axniety or depression on something else. I'm really scared and need some answers. I have an appointment with a psychologist in the next few days who hopefully has some more answers. 

Can anyone offer some advice on how to "keep my thoughts together"

Thanks

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

First of all try and calm down! Sounds like u had a bad panic attack and now ur fearing its going to happen again and that my friend is the viscous circle. When you first had this panic attack what was you doing? Was you out ur comfort zone or under pressure from work? Wouldn't thought you got anything major problem if it was just 6 days ago think you have just scared urself as I think most ppl get a attack a few times in their life but others like myself have had anxiety disorder for 20+ yrs and suffer day in day out (even though I been great lately)
  • Posted

Just like to add that I haven't had a "panic attack" yet. I just feel really anxious nearly 24 hours a day. Im scared to sit alone or not have the TV on to distract me. I don't have heart palputations or a tighening chest. 

• Posted

Yea defo sounds like ur anxious about having a panic attack I used to have to watch tv or something to take my mind off it 
  • Posted

Maybe I did have a panic attack but didn't realise it. To answer your question Kev about what I was doing prior to the event I will elaborate. 

I was flying an aircraft on a flight to deliver food aid to a mountain community in a very dangerous part or the world. At the last minute I had to abondon my attempt at landing and and came very close to the houses at the end of the runway. At no point did I think I would "die" but it was a very stressful event. My feelings didn't start straight after that but that is the only realy stressful thing that had happened to me in the previous week. My job is inherently dangerous but until now I have had no problems. I have been doing this particular job for 18 months. Is it possible to have "delayed reactions" to these sorts of events?

• Posted

Yes of course u can have delayed reactions! Well just by what ive read I would put it down to ur job as it sounds very stressful and dangerous! Its hard to say what is best for you to do! If it was me and things got real bad I'd take myself out of stressful situations but thats just me
  • Posted

Well I have taken a month off to try and get myself sorted out. I doubt that I will go back to doing what I was doing before. I may just work in the office from now. 

I think I have come on to this forum to get reassuarance that my constant fear won't last for ever and my "grip" on reality will return. The other thing is that 99% of people on forums like this describe the symptoms taking "months" to materialise where mine appeared overnight. 

Lastly, is Xanax supposed to give me euphoria or is it just to level you out?

Cheers

• Posted

Hi Craig. I think kevin has given you good advice. And taking yourself out of the situation that caused this anxiety might even be enough to take it away. Looking back my anxiety came on overnight but I didn't have much support. I was given a fist of tablets but never had anyone to talk to. So I got worse because I didn't know what was happening to me. As for Xanax it works different for different people at different doses. More often than not I think it just takes the edge off. Be careful with it the recomended time to be on it is 4 to 8 weeks. They are very addictive.Keep talking to people,any questions or fears you have there is great advice on here. Best of luck keep positive.
    • Posted

You might just need time to get over what u have experience! Ur mind is a funny thing u might of not felt scared at the time but it might if effected you with out knowing and its all coming out now!

I haven't been on the drug ur on but like all meds it just takes the edge off its not the answer its only you that can sort this

• Posted

thanks crazyfrog,

I am out of the situation now and with my family. They are a bit worried because they don't have any idea what is happening to me either. I am researching the hell out of the internet but nothing seems to fit exactly my symptoms.

Trying to explain to my GP that I was feeling like I was having a "bad trip" didn't really help (is that considered anxiety or paranoia?).I don't take drugs and I live in an almost drug free country so I don't think he understood the constant fear I had. 

Do you know of anyone who has constant fear or is it supposed to come and go?

• Posted

Jeez man! What ever you do don't look up on the net its the worse thing to do ur end up thinking you got this and that! I once had bad eye pain for bout 3 days so I looked up on the net and then convinced myself I had a brain tumour and then BANG!!!!!  low and behold I get bad panic attacks
    • Posted

Good advice Kev but like everyone these days I want and instant answer to what is up with me and someone to tell me it will all be over in a few days and then your back to your old self. 

This I know is unrealistic and its probably going to be a long road. Its funny the best I have felt in the last week is the 2 hours I have spent typing on this fourm! I have booked a psych appointment for this Saturday so I hope they can shed a little more light on my dilemma. 

• Posted

Am sorry but u wont get a instant answer m8! You feel better now cos u have found ur not alone and ppl on here give you help 
    • Posted

Thanks Kev,

I understand the my problems are miniscule compared to the dibilitating condtions some people on this forum have endured for years. 

What freaked me was all the info I could find said that the panic or anxiety I was feeling was supposed to subside at some point bringing me back to "reality" even if it was only for short periods. My anxiety/panic didn't let up for days and that was what I didn't understand. 

• Posted

M8 ur be fine just got to relax! Anxiety wont kill ya and millions of ppl have it. Only thing ill say is lay off the booze! Am not a drinker I'll have a couple of pints but bloody hell I feel rought for days after with my nerves. Ive stopped drinking and feel better for it! Alcohol and anxiety dont mix
    • Posted

Booze is off the menu for me m8 don't worry. I would convert to veganism now if it would help. 
    • Posted

Lol well am here if you need to talk ive got 20yrs of experience to give lol and an only 32 
    • Posted

Dont worry I will take you up on that I'm sure. The mornings seem to be the worst so standy for the odd panicky message!!!

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.