Difficulty talking to your GP

Posted , 2 users are following.

I used to have problems talking to my GP.  I found writing all my symptoms down and just handing them a sheet of paper used to help.  I am getting better but still apologise when I go into the surgery.  

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

It depends on how good they are - it's the same with all of the services. GP's are the first port of call for most people and only through them can you initiate referrals to the right services and so on.

The biggest problem I've found are the psychiatrists but again this is based on subjective experience rather than generally speaking. I'm currently at wits end with my Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist - she asked me to write a diary explaining everything I felt necessary for the structured nature of CBT; so I did, all 18 pages of it. She threw it on the floor after reading the first page and more or less told me I was wasting her time.

Second appointment she asked me to explain in more detail some of the intrusive thoughts I had, and I told her that whilst she was concerned about me wasting her time, she'd wasted my time by not reading what I wrote in the diary, which explained the intrusive thoughts in more detail. She stared at me blankly.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I wasn't keen on my CBT therapist like you I seemed always to be writing the wrong thing in the end I gave up.  You need to have a good relationship with your therapist.  Hope things improve for you
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Well, I posted this previously about my struggles for the last year (but then I've had problems with the services for the last 15 years; starting with CAHMS) - it's just the lack of services available. My problem is I'm being passed from pillar to the post and it's becoming like a clinical groundhog day.

My previous cognitive behavioural psychotherapist (I'll call them CBPT from now) referred me to the CMHT in December. From that I went to a psychiatrist. From the psychiatrist I went back to CBT. I half expect myself to be referred either on to the CMHT again after my 3rd appointment or into nothingness/care of GP.

The problem isn't that the therapy isn't compatible with whatever condition it is I have (because I've so far done everything they've asked me to do); it's just I have the wrong therapist - ie. one who quite specifically said "I don't have time for this"

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I think the CAMHS service is really struggling at the moment.  This pushing from pillar to post isn't acceptable.  I work in acute adult mental health services and occasionally we get CAMHS admissions due to lack of local services and mixing with adults isn't good. Let's hope you eventually get a therapist that matches your needs.  Take care
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'd say out of the 15 years and maybe 30 different people I've seen, there have been 3 people prepared to give their time to me - a clinical psychologist at CAHMS when I was 15, a counsellor that belonged to what was called the short term intervention team at the time (when I was 23) and a CPN I saw for a while whenever I was 26.

Incidentally, all of them were male - make of that what you will. I found it to be less emasculating and I think they could relate to a lot of the very real environmental experiences I was having that affected my mood, as a male.

As somebody who works within the service, what do you think would be the right course of action when it comes to, well, essentially forcing my care (ie. "no, this is what I want!"), and second, who apart from PALS is there to complain to, who would treat me as a genuine complainant rather than somebody who has 'psychiatrict difficulties'?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yeh its just doctors they never listen. They just go by the book. They rule out symptoms untill they reach the cause. Its just the way they have learnt how to do it. I had to write my symptoms on a piece of paper too and still they never agree with me!
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up